spoken or written words with which people communicate thoughts and feelings
limit
originality
language
counsel

Can we say 'the routine can be killed'?

Making vs. made | Meaning of "bear down"
Can we say 'the routine can be killed'? #1 (permalink) Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:57 am   Can we say 'the routine can be killed'?

Synonyms Lesson, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #114 "Synonyms for kill and murder", question 3

Since Alice retired her life has been deprived of emotions no business meetings, trips or cocktail-parties. The routine of her present life simply ..........

(a) destroys
(b) kills
(c) demolishes
(d) crashes

Synonyms Lesson, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #114 "Synonyms for kill and murder", answer 3

Since Alice retired her life has been deprived of emotions no business meetings, trips or cocktail-parties. The routine of her present life simply kills.

Correct answer: (b) kills

Since Alice retired her life has been deprived of emotions no business meetings, trips or cocktail-parties. The routine of her present life simply demolishes.
_________________________

as we know,the word kill has many meanings.
Can we say 'the routine can be killed'?

Leonid
Leonid

Can we say 'the routine can be killed'? #2 (permalink) Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:37 am   Can we say 'the routine can be killed'?

Leonid wrote:
As we know, the word kill has many meanings. Can we say 'the routine can be killed'? Leonid

You can kill routine as you can kill time, a plan, etc. Hence, in the passive voice, you could say 'routine can be killed'. Note that you would only use the definite article 'the' when referring to a specific routine, meaning 'this/that routine'.

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
Why do you use "towards" not "onto"?Difference between dying, living, legal?Meaning of leaseDifference between host and landlordMeaning of 'bombarded'Meaning of information and coverage is similar?Why peculiar and not typical?Why here commercials?Meaning of smart"Let's" plus infinitiveFurther to our request forDifference between sealed and shutHer party members? (is 'party' she?)