Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to go in search of; to look for; to search for; to request
seek
entitle
exaggerate
recover
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

General alarm vs. false alarm

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
meaning of "He spilled water on my paperwork" | Will tree?
listening exercises
General alarm vs. false alarm #1 (permalink) Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:33 am   General alarm vs. false alarm

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #46 "Speaking: At the Station", question 7

We thought for a moment that the 10.45 for London might be about to catch fire but it was a ......... alarm.

(a) wrong
(b) false
(c) difficult
(d) general

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #46 "Speaking: At the Station", answer 7

We thought for a moment that the 10.45 for London might be about to catch fire but it was a false alarm.

Correct answer: (b) false

Your answer was: incorrect
We thought for a moment that the 10.45 for London might be about to catch fire but it was a general alarm.

What is the meaning of this sentence

I can't understand it in the test

Stone
Stone

False alarm #2 (permalink) Mon Apr 10, 2006 13:10 pm   False alarm

Hi Stone,

A false alarm is a warning that doesn't in fact come true. If you are in a building and hear a fire alarm ringing, you imagine that a fire has started but if there is no fire in the end, this is called a false (not real) alarm.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
General alarm vs. false alarm #3 (permalink) Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:34 am   General alarm vs. false alarm

Hi Alan,
How about "wrong" word?
Cdt
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

General alarm vs. false alarm #4 (permalink) Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:57 am   General alarm vs. false alarm

Hi Cdt,

'Wrong' suggests 'incorrect' and in the context of the test sentence this would mean that the alarm was misdirected and that there should have been a different alarm and that clearly doesn't make sense.

'False' doesn't mean 'incorrect' but suggests that it doesn't have any basis or support.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

General alarm vs. false alarm #5 (permalink) Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:31 am   General alarm vs. false alarm

Hi Alan,
Thank you very much
Cdt
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

meaning of "He spilled water on my paperwork" | Will tree?
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Herd the animals?What does 'rake' mean?Where should I go to ask for some ADVICE? :)Why the opposite meaning of sour is sweet and why not salty or bitter?Spill the beans?Fleeing the countryIs she bringing you down?Clear vs. clearlyWhat are conference arrangements?Difference between game and sportIsn't SO missing between OUT and SHE?What is the difference between less, lesser and lessen?'Happen to know' vs 'know by chance'