to reduce; to lessen; to decline
taste
decrease
function
insure

Draw a connection between two historic facts.

not: known about/ to the most/discussed about/indifference on/Admittance for | Matter of times
Draw a connection between two historic facts. #1 (permalink) Mon Jun 20, 2011 15:04 pm   Draw a connection between two historic facts.

Can you say: Draw the connection between the inflow of gold and silver from the Spanish colonies and the inflation during the 16th century in Western Europe.

Or is it: Make the...

Alexandro
_________________
'Everyone can mistakes! After all, nobody's perfect.'
Alexandro

Draw a connection between two historic facts. #2 (permalink) Mon Jun 20, 2011 18:26 pm   Draw a connection between two historic facts.

This is somewhat context-dependent, I think. Assuming it's an essay question or similar, I prefer "draw" to "make". "explain" would be fine too.

I would personally delete the word "the" before "inflation".
Dozy

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Draw a connection between two historic facts. #3 (permalink) Mon Jun 20, 2011 23:39 pm   Draw a connection between two historic facts.

Thanks Dozy, but I would not delete "the" after all it's the inflation of the 16th century, not that of the 20th century. By the way, you can also say: 'the summer of 1960, but you say: in (the) summer, in (the winter).

Alexandro.
_________________
Alexandro

Draw a connection between two historic facts. #4 (permalink) Tue Jun 21, 2011 0:10 am   Draw a connection between two historic facts.

Alexandro wrote:
Thanks Dozy, but I would not delete "the" after all it's the inflation of the 16th century, not that of the 20th century.

Yes, you may be right, but possibly not for the reason you give. To me, "the inflation" implies an understanding that there was inflation during the 16th century, while "inflation" leaves that question open for the respondent to explore (which is how I originally read it). I don't think the issue is one of contrast between centuries.

Use of "the" with uncountable nouns can be a bit of a minefield!
Dozy

start & beginnot: a ten-thousand-dollars/since 1980/already/slip/either/so well/hopes gonot: twice older than/to rewrite M.A. thesis/successive dayssit on seat vs sit in a seatwhere did you come from?Grammar ChickApplianceQuestion Related To Word -- AnyQuestion Related To Word -- AnyWhat does this mean?cost of repairing vs. cost to repairTelephone billright away