to create boundaries; to restrict; to reduce; to function as a border
limit
concentrate
urbanize
cancel

diffence between finish up and finish off

Difference between interesting and interested | Is 'never seen' present perfect?
diffence between finish up and finish off #1 (permalink) Mon Jun 20, 2011 20:02 pm   diffence between finish up and finish off

I was wondering if you could explain me the difference between finish up and finish off.
Thank you!
Michaelabra

Location: Thunder Bay

diffence between finish up and finish off #2 (permalink) Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:52 am   diffence between finish up and finish off

As they stand, I see no definable difference. No doubt there are cases in which only one will serve, as in 'Batman finished off the Joker by tying him to a gargoyle'.

Perhaps you have a sentence that interests you?
_________________

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
finish up - finish off #3 (permalink) Sun Jun 26, 2011 15:59 pm   finish up - finish off

My teacher spoke often about finish off the reading.
You can finish up your homework.

Are these correct sentences? Is there a difference between finish up and finish off?
Thank you for your help!
Michi
Michaelabra

Location: Thunder Bay

diffence between finish up and finish off #4 (permalink) Mon Jun 27, 2011 0:08 am   diffence between finish up and finish off

The phrasal verbs are interchangeable there, Michi.
_________________

diffence between finish up and finish off #5 (permalink) Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:05 am   diffence between finish up and finish off

Hi Michaelabra.

To my mind 'finish off' indicates that you are completing a job and are now at the final stage as in: We started decorating the house 3 months ago and finally we finished off the bathroom late last night.

'Finish up' can mean the same as 'end up' and is used to indicate what happens at the end of a period of time as in: I missed the train in the morning, had to take a taxi to the next town where I caught a bus and finished up two hours late for my appointment.

_________________

finish off-finish up #6 (permalink) Mon Jun 27, 2011 23:17 pm   finish off-finish up

Thank you for your help!
Michaela
Michaelabra

Location: Thunder Bay

can not understand ?Planktonspecies - man - acquired ????The meaning of 'paint you in the best light'?end up vs. close upWhy is there "S" been add eventhough after the word usually?Idiom: to tear one's hair outCredulous vs. credibleWho(m) does that car belong to?Difference between 'those days' and 'these days'Feel free to askDon't mention itDifference between ought to and should