national money of a country; circulation; custom; prevalence
health
currency
experience
hurry

Why do you use "towards" not "onto"?

Difference between dying, living, legal? | Present perfect?
Why do you use "towards" not "onto"? #1 (permalink) Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:02 am   Why do you use "towards" not "onto"?

ESL/EFL Test #82 "Prepositons", question 1

I was jogging in the park this morning and saw this dog coming ......... me. It looked like he was going attack me, but he was just trying to reach out for his owner who was running right behind me.

(a) onto
(b) after
(c) towards
(d) below

ESL/EFL Test #82 "Prepositons", answer 1

I was jogging in the park this morning and saw this dog coming towards me. It looked like he was going attack me, but he was just trying to reach out for his owner who was running right behind me.

Correct answer: (c) towards

I was jogging in the park this morning and saw this dog coming onto me. It looked like he was going attack me, but he was just trying to reach out for his owner who was running right behind me.
_________________________

WHY DO YOU USE " TOWARDS" NOT "ONTO"?

NGOC ANH
Ngoc Anh

Why Do You Use "Towards" Not "Onto"? #2 (permalink) Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:33 pm   Why Do You Use "Towards" Not "Onto"?

.
Towards = in the direction of; approaching.
Onto = on top of; to a position on; upon.

The dog is not jumping onto the speaker's body, it is moving in the direction of the speaker.
.
_________________

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
"to drive" vs. "to have driven"Expression: The bottom of my heartPhrasal verb: "come across"Idiom: "I can't make head or tail of it."What does 'churn out' mean?Idiom for performing in live theatre is "on stage"Future rules: What will you be doing this time tomorrow?They made their minds up and decidedSimple past vs. present perfectMeaning of leaseDifference between host and landlordMeaning of 'bombarded'Meaning of information and coverage is similar?