Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

national money of a country; circulation; custom; prevalence
health
currency
experience
hurry
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Why do you use "towards" not "onto"?

ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Difference between dying, living, legal? | Present perfect?
listening exercises
Why do you use "towards" not "onto"? #1 (permalink) Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:02 am   Why do you use "towards" not "onto"?

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #82 "Prepositons", question 1

I was jogging in the park this morning and saw this dog coming ......... me. It looked like he was going attack me, but he was just trying to reach out for his owner who was running right behind me.

(a) onto
(b) after
(c) towards
(d) below

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #82 "Prepositons", answer 1

I was jogging in the park this morning and saw this dog coming towards me. It looked like he was going attack me, but he was just trying to reach out for his owner who was running right behind me.

Correct answer: (c) towards

Your answer was: incorrect
I was jogging in the park this morning and saw this dog coming onto me. It looked like he was going attack me, but he was just trying to reach out for his owner who was running right behind me.

WHY DO YOU USE " TOWARDS" NOT "ONTO"?

NGOC ANH
Ngoc Anh

Why Do You Use "Towards" Not "Onto"? #2 (permalink) Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:33 pm   Why Do You Use "Towards" Not "Onto"?

Towards = in the direction of; approaching.
Onto = on top of; to a position on; upon.

The dog is not jumping onto the speaker's body, it is moving in the direction of the speaker.

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
Difference between dying, living, legal? | Present perfect?
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
"to drive" vs. "to have driven"Expression: The bottom of my heartPhrasal verb: "come across"Idiom: "I can't make head or tail of it."What does 'churn out' mean?Idiom for performing in live theatre is "on stage"Future rules: What will you be doing this time tomorrow?They made their minds up and decidedSimple past vs. present perfectMeaning of leaseDifference between host and landlordMeaning of 'bombarded'Meaning of information and coverage is similar?