Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

act of acquainting one person with another; preface
introduction
name
assignment
auction
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

"well done" vs. "well made"

ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
"to buy out" vs. "to buy up". | I've got my mind set on you
listening exercises
"well done" vs. "well made" #1 (permalink) Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:00 am   "well done" vs. "well made"

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #34 "Responses (7)", question 4

Jill: 'She came top in the exam grades this summer.'
Frank: '.........'

(a) Well made.
(b) Well held.
(c) Well got.
(d) Well done.

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #34 "Responses (7)", answer 4

Jill: 'She came top in the exam grades this summer.'
Frank: 'Well done.'

Correct answer: (d) Well done.

well made

tuan
tuan

Well done/made #2 (permalink) Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:05 am   Well done/made

Hi tuan,

Well done refers often to an action as in this sentence because it refers to how well she did in the exams. Well made often refers to a construction because it refers to how well something has been constructed or put together. A piece of furniture can be described for example as well made meaning that the person who made it was probably an expert or craftsman.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
"well done" vs. "well made" #3 (permalink) Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:33 am   "well done" vs. "well made"

Dear Alan,
Can we use 'Good job’ instead of 'Well done'?
In advanced thanks a lot.
Mitra

"well done" vs. "well made" #4 (permalink) Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:43 am   "well done" vs. "well made"

Please activate Javascript in your browser to listen to this audio recording

123 Listened
Download mp3 Click to listen

Hi Mitra,

I think you would have to say more than this - You have done a good job. The other point is that the expression 'it's a good job' can have a different sense. Look at this sentence: It's a good job I had the brakes replaced on my car because they weren't working properly. This means 'I did the right thing.'

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

"well done" vs. "well made" #5 (permalink) Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:08 am   "well done" vs. "well made"

Hi Alan,
I apologize about my talkativeness. I am confused, Good job=task well done, fine work and well done=performed finely. What is the difference between those? and also why I cannot use it in this test instead of well done?

"well done" vs. "well made" #6 (permalink) Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:13 am   "well done" vs. "well made"

Please activate Javascript in your browser to listen to this audio recording

110 Listened
Download mp3 Click to listen

Hi Mitra,

If you simply say 'Good job' on its own, it's not absolutely clear what you mean. That's why I said that you need to expand this expression and say: You have done a good job or You have done your task well. You use 'Well done' as a form of congratulation but the other comments need to be inside a larger sentence. Is that any clearer?

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

"well done" vs. "well made" #7 (permalink) Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:32 am   "well done" vs. "well made"

You could use 'Good job' on its own as an expression, Mitra... but only where it is absolutely clear what you are using it about because of an immediately preceding sentence or action. In this example, there are several grades being spoken about. If you used it in this example, your meaning would be understood, but 'Well done' is a far better expression to use.

Even where 'Good job!' is used as an expression on its own, it's really just 'lazy' English and the rest of the sentence has to be inferred:

Frank was painting his house. Jim walked past as he was painting and pointed at the house. "Good job!" he called. (What he is really saying is "You're doing a good job there.")
Language Coach

"well done" vs. "well made" #8 (permalink) Sat Apr 10, 2010 15:36 pm   "well done" vs. "well made"

Dear Alan,
Thank you very much for all your attemtion.

"well done" vs. "well made" #9 (permalink) Sat Apr 10, 2010 15:38 pm   "well done" vs. "well made"

Dear beeesneees,
Thank you very much for all the effort you put in this.

"to buy out" vs. "to buy up". | I've got my mind set on you
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
Asking about this particular questionwhat does insecurity mean?Use "filthy" just in the meaning of "dirty"What does 'the devil's advocate' mean?Don't forget to buy Monica a present...Meaning of 'Put money towards'you(s) own vs you(p) ownIs this right vs. Is this correct?Meaning of 'I shall now have to take the matter further'meaning of poundedThrash versus strikeMeaning of 'errand'Difference between strong and mighty