lucky; successful; opportune
annual
fortunate
efficient
precise

lake - with or without article

informed the police | Mills' is open late, so I went there.
lake - with or without article #1 (permalink) Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:57 am   lake - with or without article

My question would be when we have to use articles(definite or indefinite) with a noun: lake.
I remember that once I read we don't have to use definite article when we say:
We like going to Lake Balaton.
In Oxford Dictionary I found two examples:
We swim in the lake.
Lake Ontario - (without example)

I would like to see this clearly.Could somebody explain to me.

Many thanks in advance:
_________________

lake - with or without article #2 (permalink) Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:08 pm   lake - with or without article

If you are naming the lake (Lake Balaton, Lake Ontario, etc.) then you do not need the article, because you have made it clear by the name which lake you refer to.

We went swimming in a lake. (any lake)
We went swimming in the lake. (The lake mentioned within this specific wider context. For example, this might be seen in a passage about a family holiday to a particular area which contained one lake.)
We went swimming in Lake Heviz. (no article is necessary. There is only one Lake Heviz.)

You can compare it to this:

The lady became fluent in English.
The Kati became fluent in English.
_________________

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
lake - with or without article #3 (permalink) Sun Jul 03, 2011 13:36 pm   lake - with or without article

Many thanks dear Bez,

I've suspected if I put to the lake its name it can be the riddle. But it was only a guess.

You surprised me with your example: lake Heviz. Have you been there or only have you heard about it?

Many thanks for your praise. I exercise more because my grandchildren will arrive on 10th July.I have to understand them and speak to them.

I think lot of Mr. Torsten that he was right when he had been required our reading out.

I'm sorry that I won't have enough time to make it perfect. I've taken a liking for learning your mother tongue. I am never bored because if I have a little free time I am in a hurry to start learning.

Best regards:
Kati

http://hungarystartshere.com/Lake-Heviz-Hevizi-to-a-natural-treasure
_________________

lake - with or without article #4 (permalink) Sun Jul 03, 2011 13:42 pm   lake - with or without article

Hello Bez,

I don't know how American anthem got here. Yesterday I sent it to 20 seconds.
Sorry:
Kati
_________________

lake - with or without article #5 (permalink) Sun Jul 03, 2011 14:38 pm   lake - with or without article

Hi Kati,

I chose Lake Heviz as an example because I knew it would be familiar to you. Sadly, though I've visited Slovakia and Austria I haven't got quite as far as Hungary... yet!
_________________

lake - with or without article #6 (permalink) Sun Jul 03, 2011 16:27 pm   lake - with or without article

Hello Bez,

You visited Slovakia, Austria then you have to visit once Hungary. Hungarian proverb: "Everything comes to one who waits." Of course with my husband we will help you if you decided to come. And I have two English friends, Elisabeth and Caroline born and bred in England.One is 70, the other is 69 but they are very youngish. I never spoke to them in English.

This is an invitation.
Best regards:
Kati
_________________

lake - with or without article #7 (permalink) Sun Jul 03, 2011 18:33 pm   lake - with or without article

Thank you for the invitation, Kati. It is very kind of you.
Who knows? One day it might become a reality, but at the moment I have to decline your kind offer of help. I cannot make travel plans right now.
_________________

lake - with or without article #8 (permalink) Sun Jul 03, 2011 20:35 pm   lake - with or without article

Dear Bez,

I hope we have time, and if we live, this invitation lives also. I realized that it wouldn't be tomorrow. It can be later, any time, the invitation - if you want to come here -exists.

There is a live connection between us.

Best regards and good night:
Kati
_________________

alone // lonelywhen you figure inWord is that he asked the publisherI heard that the city [b]is going to start collecting yard waste soon[/b].let's get startedspend time to do something or spend time doing somethingjournalists would follow him...Shouldn't the preposition be 'an' instead of 'a' before euphemism?How can I make my own sentences?use past tensePhrasal verbs: 'carry over' and 'carry out'Poked my eye outHallucinating vs daydreaming