timetable; agenda; itinerary; plan
schedule
retail
commercial
funnel

Knock off vs. knock up?

which tense should be used when referring to two past actions | From my point of view or in my opinion
Knock off vs. knock up? #1 (permalink) Thu Apr 13, 2006 18:34 pm   Knock off vs. knock up?

ESL/EFL Test #84 "ESL Prepositions", question 3

I have some material from which I could knock ......... an article if you want me to.

(a) up
(b) down
(c) together
(d) off

ESL/EFL Test #84 "ESL Prepositions", answer 3

I have some material from which I could knock up an article if you want me to.

Correct answer: (a) up

I have some material from which I could knock off an article if you want me to.
_________________________

HI,

why is "off" wrong here?

ab
ab

Knock off vs. knock up? #2 (permalink) Thu Apr 13, 2006 21:49 pm   Knock off vs. knock up?

Traditionally, "knock up" means to get someone pregnant.

"Knock off" has two meanings. The first is to kill someone.
The second is to steal or make an illegal copy (usually of a product that will be sold as if it is the original). For example, "Clyde knocked off a store, but got caught a week later when the police saw a video tape of the robbery." Or, "I bought a Louis Vitton knock off yesterday. It looks just like the real thing!"

This question is based on the second use of "knock off" it means that the person is going to steal or illegally copy the article.
Vangelic1

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Exchanging experiences #3 (permalink) Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:41 am   Exchanging experiences

Hi Venus, many thanks for joining our community. It's good to have you here and I'm sure we can exchange ideas and experiences.

Regards

TOEIC listening, question-response: Where were Kendra and Phil yesterday?

Knock off vs. knock up? #4 (permalink) Sun Apr 16, 2006 0:38 am   Knock off vs. knock up?

Thanks for the welcome, Tortsen. I think this is good practice for me as a writer.
Vangelic1

Knock off vs. knock up? #5 (permalink) Sun Apr 16, 2006 3:35 am   Knock off vs. knock up?

I'd just like to point out that while 'knock off' can mean to rob or steal (He knocked off a bank.), items that are 'knock off' or 'knocked off' aren't always illegally copied or stolen. They are just imitations of a brand.

vangelic1 wrote:

Also, I think you may have misread the statement. According to the test result, the answer was knock UP. I haven't heard this use before and I'm a bit curious about it.
Sunchild

Knock up #6 (permalink) Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:18 am   Knock up

Knock up has the sense of making/creating something without much preparation. It is often used in the preparation of food - meals as in:

It won't take me long to knock up a meal for you both - I've got several ingredients left over from yesterday.

_________________

Knock off vs. knock up? #7 (permalink) Wed Apr 19, 2006 19:00 pm   Knock off vs. knock up?

While knock up is the correct answer i wouldnt use it while you are out and about in socity, people are likely to look at you oddly.
Seeemilywrite

Knock up #8 (permalink) Wed Apr 19, 2006 19:28 pm   Knock up

Hi seeemilywrite,

I'm intrigued by your comment. If you restricted your speech in conversation fearing that another person might read into your words meanings other than the ones you intended, where would you be?

_________________

Knock off vs. knock up? #9 (permalink) Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:56 am   Knock off vs. knock up?

Only one observartion. The system give me the next result:
"correct sentence:

Correct answer: (a) off

your sentence:
I have some material from which I could knock up an article if you want me to."
However I was correct because as the system says I selected "knock up" which we is actually the correct answer. Therefore a small modification should be done to your computer program. Regards
Frank Stern

Location: Mexico

Knock off vs. knock up? #10 (permalink) Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:36 am   Knock off vs. knock up?

Hi Frank,

Many thanks for your message. We'll make the changes soon. Best regards, Torsten

Correct answer: (a) up

TOEIC short conversations: Personal assistant reminds her boss that memo needs reviewing and signing.

Knock off vs. knock up? #11 (permalink) Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:01 am   Knock off vs. knock up?

So, which variant is right?
Duset

Location: Siberia

Knock off vs. knock up? #12 (permalink) Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:49 am   Knock off vs. knock up?

Vangelic1 wrote:

Dear Teachers,

I am really confused by these remarks as per my observation the right answer should be "knock off" instead of "knock up" as the detail is follows that why it should be right?

http://www.dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?key=44011&dict=CALD

please guide
Misskhan

Location: Lahore, Pakistan

Knock off vs. knock up? #13 (permalink) Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:41 am   Knock off vs. knock up?

Hi Misskhan,

I can understand your confusion. 'Knock up' can have a sexual meaning as well as meaning to prepare something quickly - as it is used in the test but then if you have a mind to it, there are many expressions that can be construed to have a sexual implication. Likewise 'knock off' can mean produce quickly and also kill.

_________________
You can read my ESL story Passive Voice

Knock off vs. knock up? #14 (permalink) Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:46 am   Knock off vs. knock up?

Thanks for the guidance sir,

I got it now
Misskhan

Location: Lahore, Pakistan

Knock off vs. knock up? #15 (permalink) Sat Aug 22, 2009 20:30 pm   Knock off vs. knock up?

Hi everyone.
As I chacked it from dictionaries :
Knock off : (informal) stop work, reduce a price, reduce amount, produce something quickly and easyly, murder someone, and have sex with someone.
Knock up : (informal) to make something quickly and without much effort, wake someone up by knocking on their door, to make a woman pregnant.
Murtican

Location: Turkey

hard working familygerund formshi how to tell verbs of perceptionTest incompl/inter-799, Question 4herd vs. flockjust got done pimping out his rideDoes four-square mean completely?I have been a four-eyes?Who is Lord Mansfield?to feather one's own nest?Does it mean that he thinks if he were seen to drink with some of his employees?What does cash machine mean?left me some money in his will?