solemn; acute; critical; requiring much consideration; humorless; grim
fair
underway
serious
second

The meaning of 'official failure to hold those responsible to account'?

Passive voice | I heard he got a promotion at the Business News./catch up
The meaning of 'official failure to hold those responsible to account'? #1 (permalink) Thu Jul 07, 2011 15:10 pm   The meaning of 'official failure to hold those responsible to account'?

Our nation finds itself at a “morally precarious moment,” as it repudiates torture today but does little to prevent backsliding in the future, writes Froomkin. Last week, the Justice Department announced it would continue with just two investigations relating to the use of torture, two “particularly gruesome fatalities” that serve as “a poignant reminder” of official failure to hold those responsible to account, Froomkin notes.

I am confused with the highlighted phrase, please help me understand its meaning!
Thanks in advance!
Galilom2002

The meaning of 'official failure to hold those responsible to account'? #2 (permalink) Thu Jul 07, 2011 18:09 pm   The meaning of 'official failure to hold those responsible to account'?

The people in charge of the country don't take action against the torturers and bring them to justice.
_________________

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
The meaning of 'official failure to hold those responsible to account'? #3 (permalink) Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:39 am   The meaning of 'official failure to hold those responsible to account'?

Thank you very much, Madam!
Galilom2002

we sat® in the sunI got a sunburnDrag on???idiom about two dominant persons and high profile peopleI'm covering the phoneshe got a couple of things wrongthe fries a largeto hold the conference call/to change a meeting time?to hook up with sb/in an airportTOEIC® listening part III, set 4, exercise 10:How does a Field Effect Transistor work?a special drink vs. a specialised drink"I'll show" versus "I'll see"