push; lift; incentive; encouragement
attachment
fence
option
boost

I was watching TV when I heard the glass break

A date is usually a private meeting with another person | Confirmation email
I was watching TV when I heard the glass break #1 (permalink) Sun Jul 10, 2011 18:05 pm   I was watching TV when I heard the glass break

ESL/EFL Test #235 "Various Conjunctions (3)", question 2

Neither one of the boys admitted to breaking the window. I didn't see who did it because I was watching TV ......... I heard the glass break.

(a) when
(b) if
(c) or
(d) since

ESL/EFL Test #235 "Various Conjunctions (3)", answer 2

Neither one of the boys admitted to breaking the window. I didn't see who did it because I was watching TV when I heard the glass break.

Correct answer: (a) when
_________________________

Please explain "the glass break" and not "broke". thanks
Sulaini

I was watching TV when I heard the glass break #2 (permalink) Sun Jul 10, 2011 20:31 pm   I was watching TV when I heard the glass break

Because with verbs of perception you must use a bare infinitive (or an -ing form)

Here's an in-depth explanation:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/learningenglish/grammar/learnit/learnitv214.shtml
_________________

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
I was watching TV when I heard the glass break #3 (permalink) Sun Jul 10, 2011 22:22 pm   I was watching TV when I heard the glass break

Thanks for the explanation...really appreciate it.
Sulaini

They promised to doI wouldn't worrywe satŪ in the sunI got a sunburnDrag on???correctI can't wait to move out of this house...What kind of a sponge can be found in the ocean? What does it mean?What does the phrase "off the boat" mean?lurch vs straymeaning of vacillatinga special drink vs. a specialised drink"I'll show" versus "I'll see"