Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

condition; influencing factor; situation
guide
circumstance
city
letterhead
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Help: A tropical fish

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Meaning of "I should be there at about five o'clock" | Gazing vs. staring
listening exercises
Help: A tropical fish #1 (permalink) Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:31 am   Help: A tropical fish

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #146 "Conversations and Comprehension Test", question 1

Boy: I want to buy a fish.
Woman: Do you want a tropical fish or a cold water one?
Boy: I want a really colorful fish. Can you show me some of the tropical fish you have?
What is the boy looking for? ..........

(a) A red and yellow fish
(b) A cold water Goldfish
(c) A tropical fish

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #146 "Conversations and Comprehension Test", answer 1

Boy: I want to buy a fish.
Woman: Do you want a tropical fish or a cold water one?
Boy: I want a really colorful fish. Can you show me some of the tropical fish you have?
What is the boy looking for? A tropical fish.

Correct answer: (c) A tropical fish

Help: A tropical fish

Solena
Solena

Help: A tropical fish #2 (permalink) Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:37 am   Help: A tropical fish

Hi Learner,

I'm not one of the official teachers, but maybe I can help. In this dialogue, the boy asks to be shown the store's selection of tropical fish. Since tropical fish are what he asks to see, I assume that tropical fish are what he's looking for. "Red and yellow" isn't necessarily what he's looking for because it is only one of many combinations that could be called "colorful" (he may prefer a blue, green, and purple fish!), and we know that he doesn't want a cold-water goldfish because when the woman asks him "cold-water or tropical" he asks to see the tropical fish.

Does that help? I'm new at this forum and I'm not entirely certain I understand how it works.
Nicole2112

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
Meaning of "I should be there at about five o'clock" | Gazing vs. staring
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Meaning of "take it back"Prepositions exercises: is off = is badI lived vs. I have lived (simple past vs. present perfect)Difference between "book" and "order"?Why can't I use "was dead" here?Meaning of rebukedWhy can't I use "Call up" here?What does "go over" mean?Meaning of solitaryMeaning of solo"to drive" vs. "to have driven"Expression: The bottom of my heartPhrasal verb: "come across"