connection; attachment
affiliation
associate
trial
temper

in over three weeks

Gullible people | a graduate degree
in over three weeks #1 (permalink) Sun Jul 17, 2011 14:16 pm   in over three weeks

ESL/EFL Test #589 "Real Life: Scams and Fraud (1)", question 9

Luke is a .........! He convinced me to give him $2000 last month because he said he would invest it for me and that I would earn a high-rate of return on it. But, I haven't heard from him in over three weeks and his ex-girlfriend told me that he left town for good about a month ago. No one has heard from him since and I doubt I'll ever see him again.

(a) preacher
(b) gigolo
(c) fraud
(d) singer

ESL/EFL Test #589 "Real Life: Scams and Fraud (1)", answer 9

Luke is a fraud! He convinced me to give him $2000 last month because he said he would invest it for me and that I would earn a high-rate of return on it. But, I haven't heard from him in over three weeks and his ex-girlfriend told me that he left town for good about a month ago. No one has heard from him since and I doubt I'll ever see him again.

Correct answer: (c) fraud
_________________________

I haven't heard from him in over three weeks.

I've often wondered if the use of IN in a construction like this (equivalent to FOR) is US English.
Licinio

Location: Bergamo, Italy

in over three weeks #2 (permalink) Sun Jul 17, 2011 22:33 pm   in over three weeks

No - that's natural in UK English too.
_________________

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
Gullible people | a graduate degree
drink, drunk, drunken drivingcobbler/though call/plattershop/skeptical answer/if you liketurned a profitbody languageindex cardscall-waitinga long-distance carrierSlandera five and five ones?pizza pieapartment complexesBecause, because, because, because, because!