Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

relatively
fine
pretty
small
comparatively
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Resign vs. surrender

ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
when do we use present perfect?What's the difference between present perfect and | The oldest trick in the book?
listening exercises
Resign vs. surrender #1 (permalink) Mon Apr 17, 2006 19:29 pm   Resign vs. surrender

Synonym Search, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #108 "Synonyms for surrender", question 9

After her husband's death Marion was desperate and ......... all hope for a better future.

(a) quitted
(b) deserted
(c) surrendered
(d) resigned

Synonym Search, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #108 "Synonyms for surrender", answer 9

After her husband's death Marion was desperate and surrendered all hope for a better future.

Correct answer: (c) surrendered

Your answer was: incorrect
After her husband's death Marion was desperate and resigned all hope for a better future.

Could you explain me why do we use in this sentens word surrender or not resing?

Surrey
Surrey

'Surrender' vs. 'resign' #2 (permalink) Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:56 am   'Surrender' vs. 'resign'

There are often different ways to say the same thing. Sometimes, however, it is a matter of collocation (when some words combine better or only with certain other words).

Both 'resign' and 'surrender' mean 'to give up', among other definitions. Yet 'resign' is more commonly used for giving up a job, for instance, while 'surrender' is usually part of the collocation 'to surrender hope' (to give up or abandon all hope).

Never give up hope of improving your English :) !
Conchita
Language Coach

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
'Surrender' vs. 'resign' #3 (permalink) Mon Jul 26, 2010 15:19 pm   'Surrender' vs. 'resign'

Hello all together,

I've lost my glasses, so I've understood this sentence in this manner:
...Marion was desparete and (was) deserted all hope...

Of course, in active:
...Marion surrendered all hope...

Are there any rules for this? Usually it can be said:
She is running and crying.
Anyway, 'All hope for a better future deserted Marion' sounds really better in this blow of fate, doesn't it?
Have fun....
Capablanca
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

when do we use present perfect?What's the difference between present perfect and | The oldest trick in the book?
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
What are Christmas stockings?What is the butt of the joke?I would like to know the meaning of regular basis?What is a graphic movie?Meaning of you're on your own?What does 'to be on a roll' mean?What is a fishing expedition?What does know all the tricks mean?What is 'an old hat'?What's my score?What does just as good mean?just after vs. right afterWhat is a real account?