Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

suitable; fitting
weak
funnelled
general
appropriate
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Phrasal verbs: 'carry over' and 'carry out'

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Word is that he asked the publisher | use past tense
listening exercises
Phrasal verbs: 'carry over' and 'carry out' #1 (permalink) Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:40 am   Phrasal verbs: 'carry over' and 'carry out'

English Language Proficiency Tests, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #127 "Idioms with carry", question 2

Finland and the Finnish upper secondary education system constitute a good example of the fact that it is possible to ......... very extensive readjustments with a view to making a system more flexible and adapted to individualized learning.

(a) carry off
(b) carry through
(c) carry on with
(d) carry away

English Language Proficiency Tests, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #127 "Idioms with carry", answer 2

Finland and the Finnish upper secondary education system constitute a good example of the fact that it is possible to carry through very extensive readjustments with a view to making a system more flexible and adapted to individualized learning.

Correct answer: (b) carry through

what is the difference between carryover and carry out?

Matvej
Matvej

To carry over and to carry out #2 (permalink) Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:25 am   To carry over and to carry out

Both verbs have several definitions according to the context in which they are used. If you mean 'to transport', the difference between the two is as follows:

'To carry over' means to lift and take from one place to another:
I carried the child over to her father.

'To carry out' means to lift and take out:
he was carried out of the house on a stretcher.
Conchita
Language Coach

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
Carry #3 (permalink) Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:48 am   Carry

Hi Matvej,

The trouble with these phrasal verbs is that they can be used in different ways with different meanings as Conchita has already indicated. Carry over/carry out are a case in point.

Carry over also has the idea of bringing an amount of money from one account to another as in: This financial statement shows that the amount of money owed is ** and this includes the sum of ** carried over from last month.

Carry out can also mean complete or put into effect as in: The government are carrying out some new regulations to persuade motorists to keep to the speed limit.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Phrasal verbs: 'carry over' and 'carry out' #4 (permalink) Mon Jul 04, 2011 22:50 pm   Phrasal verbs: 'carry over' and 'carry out'

I don't know why you're discussing carry over and carry out here when they weren't given as alternatives! :)
To the point now: I'd like to ask about the use of carry through, and contrast it with carry out, which appears to have a similar meaning. Thanks!
Licinio
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

Word is that he asked the publisher | use past tense
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Actually, if it's not too much trouble, would you proofreading my power-point slialone // lonelywhen you figure inI heard that the city [b]is going to start collecting yard waste soon[/b].But I will in about 10 years.let's get startedlake - with or without articleMills' is open late, so I went there.informed the policeShouldn't the preposition be 'an' instead of 'a' before euphemism?Could you give the synonym of "opportunity" here?Poked my eye outSetting targets and setting goals