Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

substance obtained from a plant; essence; text paragraph; passage
value
extract
accordance
enclosure
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

What does "go over" mean?

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Meaning of solitary | Why can't I use "Call up" here?
listening exercises
What does "go over" mean? #1 (permalink) Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:45 am   What does "go over" mean?

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #164 "Idioms with go", question 6

Indonesia's fuel subsidies could ......... 100 trillion Rupiah ($9.6 billion) due to high prices and fuel scarcity in parts of the world's fourth most populous country, its president said on Tuesday.

(a) go on
(b) go over
(c) go out
(d) go off

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #164 "Idioms with go", answer 6

Indonesia's fuel subsidies could go over 100 trillion Rupiah ($9.6 billion) due to high prices and fuel scarcity in parts of the world's fourth most populous country, its president said on Tuesday.

Correct answer: (b) go over

Your answer was: incorrect
Indonesia's fuel subsidies could go on 100 trillion Rupiah ($9.6 billion) due to high prices and fuel scarcity in parts of the world's fourth most populous country, its president said on Tuesday.

what does go over mean ? i just confued cuz in some of the sentence, it does not make sense.

sylvia
sylvia

Go over #2 (permalink) Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:03 am   Go over

Hi sylvia,

The meaning of go over in this sentence is exceed/be more than.

Banks will sometimes let you spend more money than you actually have in your account and they call this an overdraft but they fix the limit and you must not go over that limit - you must not spend more than that limit.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
Meaning of solitary | Why can't I use "Call up" here?
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Is newspaper countable?Meaning of "take it back"'on about 6.30' vs. 'at about 6.30'Prepositions exercises: is off = is badI lived vs. I have lived (simple past vs. present perfect)Difference between "book" and "order"?I should use "some" instead of "any"Why can't I use "was dead" here?Meaning of rebukedGazing vs. staringHelp: A tropical fishMeaning of "I should be there at about five o'clock"Meaning of solo