quarrel; disagreement; argument
grade
obligation
dispute
nationality

Conditional tense I

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Urgent need.It's about nouns | Have to vs. must?
Conditional tense I #61 (permalink) Sun May 22, 2011 11:16 am   Conditional tense I

Hi Bev,

I refuse to be threatened by you with this kind of ultimatum on my own website. Who really do you think you are?

_________________

Conditional tense I #62 (permalink) Sun May 22, 2011 11:22 am   Conditional tense I

Well that makes the answer to my question rather obvious.
_________________

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
Conditional tense I #63 (permalink) Fri May 27, 2011 19:35 pm   Conditional tense I

Hi NaughtyDwarf (and other test-takers)

Here is a link to a different test in which you can see 'will have to' in a different context:
He'll have to look for another job.
;-)
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people." ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.
Esl_Expert

Location: Rhode Island, USA

Conditional tense I #64 (permalink) Sun May 29, 2011 17:48 pm   Conditional tense I

Good evening everyone,

I would like to ask about the lesson "Conditionals or "On Condition".

The following sentence quote :" Of course if you objected to any type of violence against your fellow man, you could always object officially I mean.
Hksv

Conditional tense I #65 (permalink) Sun May 29, 2011 18:10 pm   Conditional tense I

Sorry, I had a problem with the posting.

So, can I write also:"Of course if you odject to any tpye of violence against your fellow man,you could always object officially I mean".

And also with the sentence:If he'd known what happened in the end, he would have done it here because he got caught for military service in the other country where he was living!

I think it must be "If he'd know what happened in the end, he would have doneit here because he got caught for military service in the other country where he was living!"

Looking forward to the response and thanks in advance.
Hksv

Conditional tense I #66 (permalink) Sun May 29, 2011 20:33 pm   Conditional tense I

Has to be: If he had known (past perfect)

_________________

Conditional tense I #67 (permalink) Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:51 am   Conditional tense I

Sorry but I couldn't understant which version is right ....
" If you really want to be helpful, then you have to tell me the truth." or
" If you really want to be helpful, then you will have to tell me the truth."
If it is right the first version, please explain me why ?
many thanks in advance
Lili6

Conditional tense I #68 (permalink) Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:57 am   Conditional tense I

Both are correct.
Esl_Expert's answer #50 in this thread clearly explains why.
_________________

Conditional tense I #69 (permalink) Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:04 am   Conditional tense I

Hi Lili6,

You are reviving a topic that some few years back caused a rumpus and a hoo-ha. There is no doubt that both of your sentences as they stand are grammatically correct but as they are different constructions, it follows that they have a different meaning. They are examples of the so called first conditional. When both tenses are in the present, one sentence is a factual consequence of the other as in: If it rains, the grass becomes wet. When the 'if' clause is in the present and the other clause is in the future, that future tense indicates what is likely to happen/what is going to happen as in: If you invest your money in that project, you will lose a lot of money. 'Losing a lot of money' in that sentence isn't a factual consequence but is something that is likely to happen in the opinion of the writer/speaker.

_________________
You can read my ESL story Passive Voice

Conditional tense I #70 (permalink) Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:20 am   Conditional tense I

So, MrP is right, right? I've another question here, a teacher taught me this structure : "If + past simple, S + WOULD/COULD/MIGHT + bare verb" , it's correct.
But just last week, another teacher, whom I don't really trust, taught me that " If + past simple, S + WOULD/SHOULD + bare verb"!
I was very confused then and just wanted to stand up : "Should, really, what the *** are you talking about?" but, haha, i'm just a little student. Can you tell me if we can use Should here? Just send me message, because since i entered this forum, i haven't got any message yet, and I'm sure that a lot of people haven't neither!
_________________
Woaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!
MUuu...oa
Fouryz

Location: Viet Nam

Conditional tense I #71 (permalink) Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:57 am   Conditional tense I

Hi Fouryz,

Yes, MrP was and still is right. :-)

As for the formulas you mentioned, those would be for so-called type 2 conditional sentences. The IF-clause typically contains the simple past form of the verb, and the most common modal verb in the second clause is 'would'. Could, should and might are all possible. It depends on what you want to say. However, I'd say 'should' is much less common than the others in the second half of a conditional 2 sentence.

___________________________________________________
"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be." ~ Albert Einstein
Esl_Expert

Location: Rhode Island, USA

Conditional tense I #72 (permalink) Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:41 am   Conditional tense I

Ok thanks
_________________
Woaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!
MUuu...oa
Fouryz

Location: Viet Nam

Conditional tense I #73 (permalink) Fri Nov 02, 2012 22:15 pm   Conditional tense I

thanks.good test
Fahimeh Shirshahi

Location: Iran

Conditional tense I #74 (permalink) Sat Jan 24, 2015 17:10 pm   Conditional tense I

Hello Torsten,
You have written.
'The Conditional I consists of two clauses (parts):

IF-Condition + Result

In the sentence with the if-condition we use the present simple and in the sentence with the result we use will + base verb.'
In this test why will have to isn't good when in the first clause is a present simple?
_________________

Conditional tense I #75 (permalink) Sat Jan 24, 2015 18:45 pm   Conditional tense I

Esl_Expert's answer #50 in this thread will explain, Kati.
_________________

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Test incompl/inter-292, Question 9Do / Did you have to.................today?The use of groundsIs there such an expression?Tip into recessionHe's looking for two pucks, what's he looking for exactly?I can lend you some money until the end of the monthWatercolor pen?a little vs. a bitIt's very hot: It's scorchingplaying with a full deck of cardsodvious vs obviousmeaning of "...it would take a hot minute..."