to make happen; to bring about
comment
cause
doubt
remain

Conditional tense I

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Urgent need.It's about nouns | Have to vs. must?
Conditional tense I #1 (permalink) Thu Oct 14, 2004 16:12 pm   Conditional tense I

Test No. incompl/elem-11 "Conditionals", question 9

If you really want to be helpful, then you ......... to tell me the truth.

(a) have
(b) had
(c) will have

Test No. incompl/elem-11 "Conditionals", answer 9

If you really want to be helpful, then you have to tell me the truth.

Correct answer: (a) have

If you really want to be helpful, then you will have to tell me the truth.
_________________________

Who shouldn't I use the future here?

sunnys

There are TWO correct options in this test. Please see the explanation here
sunnys

Conditional I #2 (permalink) Thu Oct 14, 2004 18:58 pm   Conditional I

Hi Sunny,

The Conditional I consists of two clauses (parts):

IF-Condition + Result

In the sentence with the if-condition we use the present simple and in the sentence with the result we use will + base verb.

Example:

If it rains tomorrow (present simple) I'll stay at home. (will + base verb.)

Please, let me know if this makes sense to you. (it's best if you register as a forum member for free because then you can go back and edit your posts).

TOEIC listening, question-response: How many stops are there on this bus route?

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
Conditional tense I #3 (permalink) Thu Oct 14, 2004 21:16 pm   Conditional tense I

hi torsten!
no, :? it doen't really make sense to me because in this case the simple present is used twice. instead of the will-future in the second part simple present is used
sunny

Conditional I with modal verbs #4 (permalink) Fri Oct 15, 2004 17:18 pm   Conditional I with modal verbs

Hi Sunny,

You are right. In the sentence you are referring to 'will' is replaced by a modal verb (have to).

In the conditional I we can use modal verbs (shall, can, may, must) instead of 'will + base verb.

TOEIC listening, question-response: Would you like to take a break?

Conditional tense I #5 (permalink) Fri Oct 15, 2004 21:13 pm   Conditional tense I

hi torsten!
thanks for taking the time to solve my problem :)
now - finally - it does make sense to me!!!
:idea:

bye sunny :D
sunny

Sunny Saturday #6 (permalink) Fri Oct 15, 2004 21:21 pm   Sunny Saturday

Hi Sunny,

You see it's a question of communication :)
Have a sunny weekend
Regards

TOEIC listening, question-response: Why hasn't Gina gotten back to me yet?

Conditional tense I #7 (permalink) Fri Oct 15, 2004 21:31 pm   Conditional tense I

hi torsten!
thanks, you too!!!
:wink:
sunny

Conditional I #8 (permalink) Sat Apr 02, 2005 12:56 pm   Conditional I

Torsten wrote:
Hi Sunny,

IF-Condition + Result

Example:

I'm confused.
your examples are correct or your examples are wrong?

please, give me more exmples.
Sameer

Conditional tense I #9 (permalink) Sat Jul 30, 2005 15:59 pm   Conditional tense I

Hey,

I have read this sentence several times, I have even found a few samples on internet.

1. If you really want to be helpful, then you have to tell me
the truth.
2. If you really want to be helpful, then you will have to tell
me the truth.

I can't understand the difference beetwen the sentences.
I have found a few examples:

- I will have to shoot you in the head if you do that!;
- If you can't handle this responsibility, I will have to find
another architect;
- If not, I will have to wait until November;
- If the plans go ahead I will have to get out now
- If there are no other witnesses, I will have to rely on my
own wisdom

But there is a example from my English book below:
If she arrives she have to phone me = If she arrives she must phone me.

So how should I fill in the gap correctly?

Yours faithfully,
Simon
Simon

Location: Poland

Conditional tense I #10 (permalink) Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:34 am   Conditional tense I

Nice test!
I will use it to test my students, if you don't mind. :)
_________________
I am an incurable optimist.
Inga

Location: Minsk, Belarus

Conditional tense I #11 (permalink) Mon Aug 25, 2008 14:02 pm   Conditional tense I

1. If you want to be helpful, then you have to tell me the truth.
2. If you want to be helpful, then you will have to tell me the truth.

Both versions are perfectly correct; #1 has a little more sense of urgency.

Here is an example with "will" from Virginia Woolf:

3. If you persist, lawyers' clerks will have to make flying leaps into the mud; young lady typists will have to fidget behind you.

MrP
MrPedantic

Location: Southern England

Conditional tense I #12 (permalink) Mon Aug 25, 2008 22:32 pm   Conditional tense I

MrPedantic wrote:
To tell you the truth, MrP, both versions would be perfectly correct on this side of the pond too. I'd say this is another test that could do with a bit of editing so that the incorrect options are actually incorrect.
.
.

Mister Micawber, do you have access to this one?

How about this as an alternative:

(a) have
(b) had
(c) will has
That one small change would leave option (a) as the only correct option.
.
_________________

Conditional tense I #13 (permalink) Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:28 pm   Conditional tense I

Hi Amy,

Comments, criticisms, suggestions and disagreements are of course part of the nature of an open forum but you and your colleague Mr Pedantic aren't in a position to act as editors of the tests. Arbitrarily inviting Charles to carry out your wishes isn't part of the role of members

_________________

It's called "teamwork" for goodness sake! #14 (permalink) Tue Aug 26, 2008 17:47 pm   It's called "teamwork" for goodness sake!

You're welcome, Alan. I'm glad to see you're so happy about getting the tests edited and having test-takers' questions answered. :?

Here is what has happened in the latter half of this thread:

Several years ago, two test-takers (Sameer and Simon) posted questions, which went unanswered. Apparently Inga was recently looking at some of the tests and simply posted a comment about this one. Although Inga's post did not address the unanswered questions, it did result in this test thread being made current again. Obviously MrP then looked at the newly current thread, and posted a response. In so doing, MrP not only answered two questions which had not yet been addressed, but also identified an error in the test. I agreed with MrP's opinion (as I'm sure you must, too), and offered a suggestion for the repair of the test. I saw no problem whatsoever in suggesting a possible method of repair since I have been specifically asked on many occasions in the past to do exactly the same thing. I asked MM whether this is one of the tests he has access to since I am aware of the fact that MM is currently editing a variety of the tests.

I presume you might also have the ability to edit tests, but since MM has taken on the editing project, I felt the question was properly addressed to him first.

Of course there are other ways in which this test might be repaired. However, the fix I suggested would presumably be pretty easy to do, and also would not affect the MP3 file. It would also retain the grammar point that had apparently been targeted -- i.e. the fact the it is not always necessary to use will in a "type 1" IF sentence.
.
_________________

Conditional tense I #15 (permalink) Tue Aug 26, 2008 21:43 pm   Conditional tense I

Hello Alan,

I don't think there is any room for disagreement here. This is the answer that was marked as wrong:

1. If you really want to be helpful, then you will have to tell me the truth.

But as the following examples from senior forum members show, this structure is perfectly correct and natural:

2. So, if you want us to edit and amend your blog or online diary and you make 3 entries 100 words per week, you will have to pay $60 per month.

3. ...if you wish to take advantage of the convenience and opportunities it offers, you will have to endure some psychological risk. (Mister M)

4. If the ticket has not been stamped, -- i.e., validated -- it has no value, and you will have to pay. (Jamie)

5. You can of course use the continuous with a conditional sentence as in: If you are trying to pass the exam, you will have to work harder. (Alan)

Best wishes,

MrP
MrPedantic

Location: Southern England

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Test incompl/inter-292, Question 9Do / Did you have to.................today?The use of groundsIs there such an expression?Tip into recessionHe's looking for two pucks, what's he looking for exactly?I can lend you some money until the end of the monthWatercolor pen?a little vs. a bitIt's very hot: It's scorchingplaying with a full deck of cardsodvious vs obviousmeaning of "...it would take a hot minute..."