Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

region; district; zone; area; domain
significance
influence
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Could I change "her" for "their"?

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
But versus because | Difference between who and which
listening exercises
Could I change "her" for "their"? #1 (permalink) Wed Apr 19, 2006 16:51 pm   Could I change "her" for "their"?

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #101 "Possessive pronouns", question 9

......... hand shot up when the teacher asked for volunteers.

(a) Their
(b) Her
(c) Mine

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #101 "Possessive pronouns", answer 9

Her hand shot up when the teacher asked for volunteers.

Correct answer: (b) Her

Your answer was: correct

Hello, my name's Henry. I've got a question to make:

Could I change "her" for "their" ?

Thank you in advance.

Best regards

Henry
Henry

Could I change "her" for "their"? #2 (permalink) Wed Apr 19, 2006 18:58 pm   Could I change "her" for "their"?

I think you could Henry. both answers seem like they would be correct.
Seeemilywrite
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
Could I change "her" for "their"? #3 (permalink) Mon Apr 24, 2006 23:11 pm   Could I change "her" for "their"?

I disagree.

I would definitely not say "Their hand shot up...".

Amy

Could I change "her" for "their"? #4 (permalink) Wed Oct 22, 2008 14:31 pm   Could I change "her" for "their"?

Why the correct answer is 'her' and not 'their'?
Saneta
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Could I change "her" for "their"? #5 (permalink) Wed Oct 22, 2008 14:49 pm   Could I change "her" for "their"?

Hi Saneta

"Her" is the only one of the choices that is grammatically and logically possible.

If you used "their", the reference would be to more than one person and the word "hand" would then have to be plural as well.

Could I change "her" for "their"? #6 (permalink) Wed Oct 22, 2008 15:01 pm   Could I change "her" for "their"?

Of course, the good remark Yankee. Thank you!
Saneta
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Could I change "her" for "their"? #7 (permalink) Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:35 pm   Could I change "her" for "their"?

Her hand shot up= she raised her hand?
Saneta
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Could I change "her" for "their"? #8 (permalink) Wed Dec 23, 2009 14:06 pm   Could I change "her" for "their"?

Hi Saneta

That's right. To shoot up your hands means to raise them quickly or abruptly.
The prices could as well shoot up (bump up) overnight which means they rise suddenly and strikingly.

Hope, it helps.
Ali
Aliraf62
You can meet me at english-test.net

But versus because | Difference between who and which
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Who or what are the boys in blue?Here is what I do when I get home after work...the grass is greener on the other side?What does dresssing mean in connection with food?"I'll want to salad with that"? is it right?your body temperature. increasesCould I also say "they have a runny or stuffy nose"?Could it be "Yes, do you have a pen and some paper(s)"?display as a verb vs. display as a noun"that picks people up" instead of "that picks up people"?Is to pull around mean to carry or to overcome?Could we say "They understand well each other"?Use 'in the United States and Canada' not 'in the United Stated and in Canada'?