Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

hardly; scarcely
consequently
anyway
barely
upwards
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Meaning of "make a go of things"

ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Difference between why and what? | meaning of spring
listening exercises
Meaning of "make a go of things" #1 (permalink) Mon Apr 24, 2006 14:30 pm   Meaning of "make a go of things"

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #92 "Using Make and Do (2)", question 1

Even though the situation was not ideal, they decided to ......... a go of things.

(a) make
(b) do
(c) made
(d) did

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #92 "Using Make and Do (2)", answer 1

Even though the situation was not ideal, they decided to make a go of things.

Correct answer: (a) make

Your answer was: correct

Dear Sir,

Would you be so kind as to tell me the meaning of "make a go of things" ?

Thanks in advance

Enlearnercn
Enlearnercn

To make a go of it #2 (permalink) Mon Apr 24, 2006 14:48 pm   To make a go of it

To make a go of it is to try to make the business successful, to make something succeed, usually by working hard.
Conchita
Language Coach

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Make a go of things #3 (permalink) Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:54 am   Make a go of things

Hello,
Similarly, it means to 'make the best of things' - out of a situation that is not exactly the way you'd like it to be. In other words, to be positive, to try and make it successful and/or to have a good time.
Linda

---------------------------
One Way of Learning English Grammar
Learn English with Linda Arlia
I'm here quite often ;-)
Linda Arlia

Meaning of "make a go of things" #4 (permalink) Wed May 30, 2012 13:53 pm   Meaning of "make a go of things"

why not do?
best regard
Igal1
You can meet me at english-test.net

Meaning of "make a go of things" #5 (permalink) Thu May 31, 2012 3:51 am   Meaning of "make a go of things"

"Do" is not part of the expression.
The expression is 'to make a go of things.'
I'm here quite often ;-)
Linda Arlia

Meaning of "make a go of things" #6 (permalink) Thu May 31, 2012 7:48 am   Meaning of "make a go of things"

Hi Linda,

I'm probably a bit slow in noticing it, but I see you are back on the forums again. How are things with you? It seems a lifetime ago when you made your debut.

Best wishes,

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Meaning of "make a go of things" #7 (permalink) Fri Jun 01, 2012 19:52 pm   Meaning of "make a go of things"

Hi Alan,
I'm doing well. How are you? It's definitely been a while since I posted anything. I've been pretty busy with work and I recently had a great visit with my family from Canada. I do get notifications from the forum from time to time but most of the moderators are really quick about answering questions ..... and that's a good thing. :) I hope you're keeping busy and enjoying the spring/summer weather across the pond.
Take care,
Linda
I'm here quite often ;-)
Linda Arlia

Meaning of "make a go of things" #8 (permalink) Fri Jun 01, 2012 19:58 pm   Meaning of "make a go of things"

Hi Linda,

Good to have your response. I am keeping busy. As for the weather on this small island, you never can tell. It seems to me that everything is upside down
and sometimes you appear to go through all the seasons in one week. But then at least it provides a topic of conversation among us taciturn islanders!

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Meaning of "make a go of things" #9 (permalink) Sat Jun 02, 2012 21:33 pm   Meaning of "make a go of things"

Island? Sounds beautiful, though, in spite of the wonky weather. We live about an hour from the coast and we've also had a little bit of everything lately. But, you're right - it gives us all something to talk about. It's really good hearing from you and I hope the summer (for both of us) turns out to be a little more stable and pleasant. Enjoy the island!! :)
I'm here quite often ;-)
Linda Arlia

Difference between why and what? | meaning of spring
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
The meaning of "for"???look forward to sleeping infinance chargeseveryday vs every dayIt should be "What are you doing here?"What is ice hockey?What is a bat?What is the meaning of hikes?What does "up to his ears in" mean?"expand on" versus "spread out"'surprised at how many' instead of 'surprised how many''do' = 'go or travel (at a certain speed)''mail for one thousand dollars' vs. 'mail with...'