to exchange a check (or another money order) for coins and bank notes; to redeem
pitch
saw
level
cash

Meaning of "take it back"

Prepositions exercises: is off = is bad | 'on about 6.30' vs. 'at about 6.30'
Meaning of "take it back" #1 (permalink) Mon Apr 24, 2006 18:20 pm   Meaning of "take it back"

I believe your marking of the answer for the above test incorrectly displays the answer as "Take it Back".

This cannot be correct as you are referring the actual refund of the item which is related to the return of the item “Give it back”. By referring to, "take it back" the implication is or could be the actual transportation of the item not its return for a refund. Hence the answer “Give it back” would be more appropriate taking the formulation of the question into account.

*************
correct sentence:
If for any reason customers do not like the item they have bought, they always take it back and get a refund.

Correct answer: (b) take it back

your sentence:
If for any reason customers do not like the item they have bought, they always give it back and get a refund.

Translate sentence or define "take it back"

Gideon
Gideon

Business English, Advance, Quality Control, Question 4 #2 (permalink) Mon Apr 24, 2006 19:18 pm   Business English, Advance, Quality Control, Question 4

Hi Gideon

I see your point, but "give something back" would be used, for example, when you're talking about returning something that was borrowed (i.e. no money and/or purchase involved).

On the other hand, "take someting back" would be a typical phrase to use when you're talking about returning a purchase for a refund.

_________________

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
'pass out' is the same as 'pass out'Meaning of Lodge'go to bed at midnight' vs. 'on midnight'Is newspaper countable?Why "to call that person direct" is used?Using KNOCK UP, KNOCK OFF and KNOCK ON"this is Sue" vs. "here is Sue"I lived vs. I have lived (simple past vs. present perfect)Eldest vs. olderDifference between "book" and "order"?I should use "some" instead of "any"Why can't I use "was dead" here?Meaning of rebuked