Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

safeguard; something used to avert an unwanted situation
royalties
preventive
page
trail
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Is newspaper countable?

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
I should use "some" instead of "any" | Why "to call that person direct" is used?
listening exercises
Is newspaper countable? #1 (permalink) Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:13 am   Is newspaper countable?

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #99 "a, some or any", question 3

There's ......... newspaper on the table.

(a) a
(b) some
(c) any

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #99 "a, some or any", answer 3

There's a newspaper on the table.

Correct answer: (a) a

Your answer was: incorrect
There's some newspaper on the table.

Dear Sir,

Is newspaper countable? Should we a piece of newpaper?

Thanks in advance

Enlearnercn
Enlearnercn

Newspaper - countable or uncountable? #2 (permalink) Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:19 am   Newspaper - countable or uncountable?

Hi Enlearnercn,

The word newspaper can be both countable and uncountable. In the test sentence it is countable as would be book/magazine/brochure.

It could be uncountable in a sentence like this:

As we wanted to paint the ceiling, we covered the floor with newspaper. (in this sense it refers to the material and not the individual newspaper)

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
I should use "some" instead of "any" | Why "to call that person direct" is used?
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Meaning of "reject the plan out of hand"Except vs. accessMeaning of "murder on the spot"'pass out' is the same as 'pass out'Meaning of Lodge'go to bed at midnight' vs. 'on midnight'Meaning of "take it back"Using KNOCK UP, KNOCK OFF and KNOCK ON'on about 6.30' vs. 'at about 6.30'"this is Sue" vs. "here is Sue"Prepositions exercises: is off = is badI lived vs. I have lived (simple past vs. present perfect)Eldest vs. older