to estimate; to compute; to depend upon
access
accredit
attribute
calculate

Meaning of toothpick

meaning of "roll up our sleeves" | But versus because
Meaning of toothpick #1 (permalink) Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:25 am   Meaning of toothpick

ESL/EFL Test #105 "Compound words with tooth", question 4

My father told me that I will get a ......... if I eat too much chocolate.

(a) toothpaste
(b) toothache
(c) toothpick

ESL/EFL Test #105 "Compound words with tooth", answer 4

My father told me that I will get a toothache if I eat too much chocolate.

Correct answer: (b) toothache

_________________________

what does toothpick mean?

Evsej
Evsej

Meaning of toothpick #2 (permalink) Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:44 am   Meaning of toothpick

A toothpick is a device usually made of wood or plastic that is very thin and is used to clean between the tooth.

_________________

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Meaning of toothpick #3 (permalink) Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:58 am   Meaning of toothpick

My father told me that I will get a toothache if I eat too much chocolate. - This sentence is an example of reported speech, so I can leave it as it is or say: My father told me that I would get a toothache If I ate too much chocolate, right??????

Meaning of toothpick #4 (permalink) Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:43 pm   Meaning of toothpick

Hi Saneta

I surmise you are right in saying that the sentence is a reported speech structure and we apparently should go one step back in the past from the original sentence. However, bear in mind that when we use First Conditional we are talking about a particular situation in the future that may really happen. This is not the case with the Second Conditional which deals with an unreal possibility or dream that we do not expect to happen and are only hypothesizing about.

All in all, I gather that changing the tense of the test sentence one step back in time, entails changing the emphasis too.

I hope I'm not wrong. :D
Ali
Aliraf62

Location: Sweden

the grass is greener on the other side?What does dresssing mean in connection with food?"I'll want to salad with that"? is it right?your body temperature. increasesCould I also say "they have a runny or stuffy nose"?Could it be "Yes, do you have a pen and some paper(s)"?display as a verb vs. display as a noun"that picks people up" instead of "that picks up people"?Is to pull around mean to carry or to overcome?Could we say "They understand well each other"?Use 'in the United States and Canada' not 'in the United Stated and in Canada'?Why did a lot of pedestrian walk across the street when the light turned green?The days of the week?