relevant; related; appropriate; fitting
own
foreign
supervisory
pertinent

turn the clock back.

Haste vs. hurry | Try out vs. dry out
turn the clock back. #1 (permalink) Sun Sep 18, 2011 21:42 pm   turn the clock back.

ESL/EFL Test #78 "Tick Tock", question 3

I'm afraid you can't make yourself any younger and turn the clock ..........

(a) to
(b) by
(c) back
(d) down

ESL/EFL Test #78 "Tick Tock", answer 3

I'm afraid you can't make yourself any younger and turn the clock back.

Correct answer: (c) back
_________________________

I think HERE means that :
1.she/he can't turn back the march/progress of time. Is it right?

2.'turn the clock back 'synonym with 'put the clock back' when the hands of clock are moved back because the time officially changed
_________________

turn the clock back. #2 (permalink) Sun Sep 18, 2011 21:47 pm   turn the clock back.

"To turn the clock back" is an idiom.

Here it is used in sense #2:
To try to return to the past.
_________________

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
turn the clock back. #3 (permalink) Sun Sep 18, 2011 22:55 pm   turn the clock back.

I agree with this expression:

try to return in the pass

but isn't this expression synonym with: You can't turn back the march of time / You can't turn back the progress of time?

Can't I say this to anybody who wants to make herself any younger and believe she can turn the clock back?
_________________

turn the clock back. #4 (permalink) Mon Sep 19, 2011 13:23 pm   turn the clock back.

Hello Tort,

In the evening I am always slow thinker than in the morning.
I remember that yesterday evening I was thinking of a Hungarian very old saying. It didn't come in my mind. If I had remembered it I would have written this. I remember now. Better late than never.
We can't turn back the wheel of time.
Today I wrote in the Google and I saw in the Wikipedia there is this title: Wheel of Time (WoT)- of course not than a Hungarian saying. In Hungarian meaning: You can't turn back the wheel of time.
There is a sentence from it:
"At the dawn of time, a deity known as the Creator forged the universe and the Wheel of Time, which, as it turns, spins all lives."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wheel_of_Time

Bye:
Kati
_________________

Haste vs. hurry | Try out vs. dry out
Does your cat purr?Please help me with letter writing!Elephants never forgetwhat time do you clock off?since two that morningWhat does the word 'thrust' mean?What does 'him' mean?why do I should choose worry not think?what does "when do you clock with" mean?How do we use "just"?It was my pleasureMeaning of "doing least of all"Meaning of 'make do with'