to answer adequately or successfully
angle
house
field
graduate

What do you think of Troy Davis' death?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Don't Understand | Just in case...
What do you think of Troy Davis' death? #76 (permalink) Fri Oct 07, 2011 14:13 pm   What do you think of Troy Davis' death?

Jamie (K) wrote:
And then there are the good old standbys: the firing squad and the electric chair.

Actually there's a better yet method - by nitrogen asphyxiation, although it's only proposed and not yet approved. On the plus side, it beats lethal injection for the amount of time it takes to execute a person. And nitrogen is absolutely safe (our atmosphere is made up of 70 % nitrogen), plus inhaling it doesn't irritate air passages and lungs and death comes about absolutely pain-free.
_________________

What do you think of Troy Davis' death? #77 (permalink) Fri Oct 07, 2011 14:49 pm   What do you think of Troy Davis' death?

Jamie (K) wrote:
Europeans murder their innocent offspring at astonishing rates, but they complain about execution of murderers in the US.

The pot calling the kettle black? :-)

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/12/world/12abortion.html -- ''...in the United States, 21 per 1,000 in that year (2003). The lowest rate, 12 per 1,000, was in Western Europe, with legal abortion and widely available contraception.''

http://www.economist.com/blogs/democracyinamerica/2011/01/abortion_and_birth_control -- ''But America's teen pregnancy rate is three to six times higher than Western European rates. And our abortion rate is about three times as high as that of Germany or the Netherlands and about double that of France.''
_________________
If you're going through hell... keep going.
Cristina.ro

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
What do you think of Troy Davis' death? #78 (permalink) Fri Oct 07, 2011 14:56 pm   What do you think of Troy Davis' death?

Yes, Cristina. The US has a high abortion rate also. I didn't say our abortion rate was low. However, some European countries do have a 50% abortion rate among certain demographics, and the European Union tried to force unrestricted abortion on some East European countries in such a way that religious doctors would have lost their medical licenses for following their consciences.

Part of the reason for the high US abortion rate is that there is a certain segment of the population that refuses to be educated, and these uneducated people often use contraception wrong or use abortion instead of contraception.

What do you think of Troy Davis' death? #79 (permalink) Fri Oct 07, 2011 22:23 pm   What do you think of Troy Davis' death?

Our Tort System wrote:

There is no such thing as a 'pain-free' execution. Any execution triggers agonizing and painful death throes. It's like torturing a person to death. Saying there is an 'absolutely pain-free' way of killing somebody is very naive to put it mildly.

Torturing somebody to death gives some people a good feeling but I doubt that this feeling lasts long. If you execute a murderer, you become a murderer yourself.

TOEFL listening lectures: A lecture by a professor of Fine Arts

What do you think of Troy Davis' death? #80 (permalink) Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:59 am   What do you think of Troy Davis' death?

Yes, you are right Torsten. There isn't execution without pain, fear,horror psychosis from the day when somebody comes with the injection.

Those people who - I write now - were condemned to death here in Hungary, after the revolution of 1956 - their companions in the cells heard their long loud high cry or how the guards pull them over the corridor because they was unable to walk and their shoes were knocking over the pavement and even more horrible things happened with them that I can't describe... Of course there were some convicts who went without saying a word. We are not uniform and we fear the death diversely. These people condemned to deaths were innocent and 34 years later they had been rehabilitated by Supreme Court.

Or scaffold or injection the convicts pass through the same fear the difference only the time of fear is shorter.

_________________

What do you think of Troy Davis' death? #81 (permalink) Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:00 am   What do you think of Troy Davis' death?

Torsten, why are you so concerned about the execution of proven murders like Troy Davis, but you don't notice the death sentences of truly innocent people, like Youcef Nadarkhani?

What do you think of Troy Davis' death? #82 (permalink) Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:03 am   What do you think of Troy Davis' death?

Jamie, I'm concerned about any execution and I'd like to concentrate on executions that take place in democratic and developed countries like the US but the chances to bring about a change there are much greater than in underdeveloped regimes.

TOEFL listening lectures: A lecture from a life sciences class (2)

What do you think of Troy Davis' death? #83 (permalink) Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:58 am   What do you think of Troy Davis' death?

Hello Everybody, who participated in this thread,

New Zealand's national icon, Shrek the sheep, died on a South Island farm at the weekend at the age of 16, broadcaster TVNZ has reported. The Merino made headlines across the world in 2004 when he was found living in a cave after six years on the loose. When he was finally recovered, he was weighed down by an incredible 27 kilogram-fleece. His long-awaited shearing was then broadcast live on television.

Highly valued for their fleece, Merino sheep are said to grow some of the finest and softest wool, which is commonly used by the clothing industry. In New Zealand, where sheep are thought to outnumber the human population of 4.3 million people by 10 to 1, it is hard to imagine how one sheep could stand out. But his incredible story made him a national celebrity.

Following his shearing, Shrek made a number of public appearances, including a visit to New Zealand's national parliament to meet then Prime Minister Helen Clark. He also became the star of a number of children's books. Despite his fame, Shrek's owner insists his prized sheep came from humble origins. "He was just an ordinary sheep, went AWOL and hid, and when he was found he became the darling of the nation," said Shrek's owner John Perriam, in an interview with TVNZ.

"He had an unbelievable personality. He loved children and he was really good with the elderly in retirement homes." Perriam told the Agence France-Presse he was forced to put down Shrek because of his waning health. His memorial service is slated for later this week at the Church of the Good Shepherd in Tekapo.

source: CNN
_________________

What do you think of Troy Davis' death? #84 (permalink) Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:26 am   What do you think of Troy Davis' death?

Here one of the films in the memory of Shrek who had been put down to everybody's sorrow.

_________________

What do you think of Troy Davis' death? #85 (permalink) Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:29 am   What do you think of Troy Davis' death?

[quote="Torsten"]If you execute a murderer, you become a murderer yourself.

(1) As a new member, I just recently discovered this forum. I think that it is nice that people are allowed to give their opinions (in a courteous manner).

(2) I am sure that you are very sincere in your opposition to capital punishment.

(3) I am also sure that you understand that many people sincerely disagree with you.

(4) Here in California, about 700 individuals are waiting to be executed. Most observers say that they never will be executed because of various reasons, including political reasons.

(5) Some people feel that individuals who viciously take another human's life have no right to live themselves.

(6) Some people feel that -- at the very least -- those vicious killers should be executed in order to give some mental relief to the families of the victims.

(7) Regarding any pain that the killers might feel during an execution, some people might reply: So what!

(8) Of course, I am NOT trying to change your mind. Words cannot change anyone's mind. The only thing that changes a person's mind is the experiences of life.
James M

What do you think of Troy Davis' death? #86 (permalink) Tue Oct 11, 2011 18:01 pm   What do you think of Troy Davis' death?

Torsten wrote:

So for that reason you're willing to ignore countries that engage in large-scale execution of people for their religious beliefs, for example. You're willing to harass a democratic country about the execution of a murderer, but you don't care to criticize a despotic regime over its murder of innocents.

That's twisted!

What do you think of Troy Davis' death? #87 (permalink) Tue Oct 11, 2011 18:32 pm   What do you think of Troy Davis' death?

"Troy Davis executed: 'This was a legal lynching' -video(Guardian.co.UK Thursday 22.September 2011"

"Troy Davis' lawyer and a witness to his death give their reactions to the execution of a man who protested his innocence until the last."

If the Guardian put a query against the right of his death sentence how to believe in that not an innocent man had been "lynched" by legal way. -this is my conviction.

Who has right to judge a person where the evidence couldn't prove squarely his culpability??? If the testimonies are not in agreement with each others, till the verification hadn't be finished , the court has no right to pass no judgement mainly not a capital sentence.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/video/2011/sep/22/troy-davis-execution-video
_________________

What do you think of Troy Davis' death? #88 (permalink) Tue Oct 11, 2011 18:38 pm   What do you think of Troy Davis' death?

Kati, I only understand one sentence of your English in this post, but I can tell you that Troy Davis's culpability WAS proven in court. There were over 30 eyewitnesses, and only about four of them recanted their testimony. Those people's new stories did not stand up to cross-examination.

What I guess you're trying to say is that it is never possible to prove that anyone did anything, and so murderers should go free. How about we send them to Hungary to live in your neighborhood?

What do you think of Troy Davis' death? #89 (permalink) Tue Oct 11, 2011 18:40 pm   What do you think of Troy Davis' death?

Kati Svaby wrote:

"He protested his innocence"?
I thought he maintained innocence until the last moment.

But maintaining innocence till the end is hardly a defense, it hardly proves anything. He just wanted to weasel out of the bind he'd gotten himself in when he'd made the stupid decision to shoot a cop dead.
It always pays to be a little more critical of what they say on TV. His guilt was proven in court and a jury of 12 people agreed on the sentence, there was enough compelling evidence against Troy presented to them. If they had deemed the evidence insufficient then they would've either hung (and the judge would've declared a mistrial) or acquitted him.
_________________

What do you think of Troy Davis' death? #90 (permalink) Tue Oct 11, 2011 20:12 pm   What do you think of Troy Davis' death?

Hello Tort,

This sentence was written not by me but by the Guardian that's why I put it in quotation mark.
Till now I knew me also only meaning of to protest than to object to sth that's why I look up Oxford Dictionary.

2. definition = to say firmly that sth is true, especially when you have been accused of sth or when other people don't believe you.
-She has always protested her innocence.

Bye:

I
_________________

Don't Understand | Just in case...
Newsletter: What do you want for Christmas?American and British movies and TV series in Germany?Can't get that song out of my head...Would you kill someone to win the presidency campaign?How would you feel if you were all alone in the world which only hadwhat kind online dictionary you use online?Good program to learn English...Put any interesting video you find onAn MAN truck being towed by another MANLove will keep us alive!English courses and self-studyTricky Either OrUNO human rights commission ---