very quite; to a degree; somewhat; slightly; a bit; might as well
rather
further
nearby
entirely

Meaning of "murder on the spot"

Except vs. access | Meaning of "reject the plan out of hand"
Meaning of "murder on the spot" #1 (permalink) Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:20 am   Meaning of "murder on the spot"

English Grammar Error, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #23 "Expressions and Gerunds", question 6

It was quite straightforward really. The police caught the man with the dagger in his hand and charged him of murder on the spot.

(a) straightforward
(b) caught
(c) of

ESL/EFL Test #23 "Expressions and Gerunds", answer 6

It was quite straightforward really. The police caught the man with the dagger in his hand and charged him with murder on the spot.

Correct entry: with
The error was: (c) of

Your answer was: ?
_________________________

meaning of "murder on the spot"

Kolombina
Kolombina

On the spot #2 (permalink) Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:05 am   On the spot

'On the spot' means immediately, straight away, at the place where something is happening. Our sentence can read: "...the police immediately accused him of murder" or "the police accused him of murder there and then (or: at once)".

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
On the spot #3 (permalink) Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:20 am   On the spot

Hi Kolombina,

Adding to what Conchita has said, it's worth noting that spot in an expression often suggests a location as here meaning there and then. You can also use the expression for example when you refer to someone who has witnessed an incident. Often a newsreader on radio/tv will say: Let's now talk to our reporter who's on the spot - meaning the reporter is actually there where something has happened like a plane crash/demonstration and so on and is able to give an actual description of what is happening now.

_________________

The/an/a - articles in EnglishMeaning of stagger, wander, limpMeaning of 'tread'Meaning of shock (past tense shocked)Meaning of strumMeaning of 'Load onto the plane'Why "ought" is not the right answer here?Why do we use past tense?When i can use conjunction "so"?'pass out' is the same as 'pass out'Meaning of Lodge'go to bed at midnight' vs. 'on midnight'Is newspaper countable?