Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to think; to consider logically; to argue; to claim
ferry
bill
reason
undercut
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Why do we use past tense?

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
When i can use conjunction "so"? | Meaning of 'Load onto the plane'
listening exercises
Why do we use past tense? #1 (permalink) Fri Apr 28, 2006 16:42 pm   Why do we use past tense?

English Language Proficiency Tests, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #115 "Tense Agreement", question 4

The witness ......... everyone that he hadn't had anything to do with the crime.

(a) convinces
(b) is convincing
(c) convinced
(d) has convinced

English Language Proficiency Tests, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #115 "Tense Agreement", answer 4

The witness convinced everyone that he hadn't had anything to do with the crime.

Correct answer: (c) convinced

Your answer was: incorrect
The witness has convinced everyone that he hadn't had anything to do with the crime.

why do we use past tense? we dont know when the action took place

alexander
alexander

Why do we use past tense? #2 (permalink) Fri Apr 28, 2006 16:54 pm   Why do we use past tense?

Hi Alexander

You need the simple past tense (convinced) here because of the past perfect (hadn't had) in the second half of the sentence.
The witness convinced everyone that he hadn't had anything to do with the crime.

If the second half of the sentence were in the simple past (didn't have), then you could use the present perfect (has convinced) .
The witness has convinced everyone that he didn't have anything to do with the crime.

Amy

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
When i can use conjunction "so"? | Meaning of 'Load onto the plane'
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Easy vs. facileI don't see that as a problem vs. answerThe/an/a - articles in EnglishMeaning of stagger, wander, limpMeaning of 'tread'"turn in" vs. "turn up"Meaning of shock (past tense shocked)Meaning of strumWhy "ought" is not the right answer here?Meaning of "reject the plan out of hand"Except vs. accessMeaning of "murder on the spot"'pass out' is the same as 'pass out'