sameness; uniformity
temper
equality
resilience
fizzle

Why "ought" is not the right answer here?

Meaning of strum | Meaning of shock (past tense shocked)
Why "ought" is not the right answer here? #1 (permalink) Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:08 am   Why "ought" is not the right answer here?

ESL/EFL Test #100 "Student Teacher Dialogue (3)", question 3

Teacher: Excellent. Now if I wanted to describe my time in Paris in 1999 with the verb 'stay', what ......... I say?

(a) am
(b) would
(c) ought
(d) have

ESL/EFL Test #100 "Student Teacher Dialogue (3)", answer 3

Teacher: Excellent. Now if I wanted to describe my time in Paris in 1999 with the verb 'stay', what would I say?

Correct answer: (b) would

Teacher: Excellent. Now if I wanted to describe my time in Paris in 1999 with the verb 'stay', what ought I say?
_________________________

Dear Sir,

why "ought" is not the right answer here?

Thanks in advance

Chrisitna
Christina328

Why "ought" is not the right answer here? #2 (permalink) Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:11 am   Why "ought" is not the right answer here?

.
Ought requires the infinitive 'to'-- What ought I to say?-- except in question tags: I ought to say something, oughtn't I?
.
_________________

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
A kilo vs. some kilosMeaning of actuaryWhat is the difference between 'get' and 'got'?Easy vs. facileI don't see that as a problem vs. answerThe/an/a - articles in EnglishMeaning of stagger, wander, limpMeaning of 'tread'"turn in" vs. "turn up"Meaning of 'Load onto the plane'Why do we use past tense?When i can use conjunction "so"?Meaning of "reject the plan out of hand"