safeguard; something used to avert an unwanted situation
royalties
preventive
page
trail

I'm really happy that the dangerous dam project collapsed.

If we stand 23.5 degree tilted? | help
I'm really happy that the dangerous dam project collapsed. #1 (permalink) Fri Sep 30, 2011 16:10 pm   I'm really happy that the dangerous dam project collapsed.

I'm really happy that ridiculous Irrawaddy river dam project collapsed.

The Irrawaddy river flows throughout Burmese history.
She is life and soul of all Burmese, the rich or the poor.

We adore her as if our own mother.
Now, our mother is free of danger.
My eyes are in tears.

I love you mother Irrawaddy, I love you for giving me my life and my soul to learn how to be a good human. I love Burma.

Love live the Irrawaddy!

regards,
Mr. Kyaw Min Lwin

I'm really happy that the dangerous dam project collapsed. #2 (permalink) Sun Oct 02, 2011 17:45 pm   I'm really happy that the dangerous dam project collapsed.

This is what we Americans call a "hot potato." That is, a very controversial subject. I shall be VERY careful in my comments, but I have read that MAYBE you should NOT celebrate victory yet. I have read that a "certain country" (let's NOT say the name) very much wants the dam. And some people say that when that "certain country" wants something, it will get it. I have read that there are many powerful people in your country who also want the dam for certain reasons (let's NOT say the reasons).
James M

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
I'm really happy that the dangerous dam project collapsed. #3 (permalink) Sun Oct 02, 2011 19:21 pm   I'm really happy that the dangerous dam project collapsed.

James M wrote:
This is what we Americans call a "hot potato."

Hot potato, or is it small potatoes?
I don't even know what "the Irrawaddy river dam project" is. Hehe.
_________________

I'm really happy that the dangerous dam project collapsed. #4 (permalink) Sun Oct 02, 2011 20:09 pm   I'm really happy that the dangerous dam project collapsed.

hot potato = controversial subject. A subject that you do not want to touch. It will burn you. In the United States, hot potatoes include gay marriage, abortion, racial matters, etc.

small potatoes = not very important, not very influential, etc.

big potatoes = very important, very prestigious, etc. In the 1930's, being a mailman in the United States was big potatoes.
James M

I'm really happy that the dangerous dam project collapsed. #5 (permalink) Sun Oct 02, 2011 20:12 pm   I'm really happy that the dangerous dam project collapsed.

I know them all,
I guess my irony was lost on you then (I meant to say that the aforementioned project must be small potatoes because I know nothing about it, and I try to stay in touch with the latest happenings in the world).
But since you went to all this trouble on my account, thanks.
_________________

I'm really happy that the dangerous dam project collapsed. #6 (permalink) Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:06 am   I'm really happy that the dangerous dam project collapsed.

Dear Friends,
Thank you for your interest. Here some information for you.

( Burma's president has suspended construction of a controversial Chinese-backed hydroelectric dam.

In a letter read out in parliament on Friday, Thein Sein said the $3.6bn (£2.3bn) Myitsone dam was contrary to the will of the people. ) (BBC )

regards.
Mr. Kyaw Min Lwin

I'm really happy that the dangerous dam project collapsed. #7 (permalink) Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:08 am   I'm really happy that the dangerous dam project collapsed.

We will choose to stay in the dark , rather than drown in the flood.

regards.
Mr. Kyaw Min Lwin

I'm really happy that the dangerous dam project collapsed. #8 (permalink) Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:13 am   I'm really happy that the dangerous dam project collapsed.

Dear Friends,
Here some more for your kind judgment.

( Spectrum of opposition

The Myitsone dam project was being developed jointly by Burma and China at the head of the Irrawaddy river in Burma's northern Kachin state.

Kachin rebels, who have been fighting government troops in a stop-start insurgency for years, were leading the opposition to the dam.
Continue reading the main story
image of Rachel Harvey Rachel Harvey South East Asia correspondent, BBC News

The broad campaign against the dam presented a very real test for the relatively new civilian-led, military-backed, government. It had also become a lightning rod for growing anti-Chinese sentiment in Burma.

Beijing, exploiting the void created by international sanctions, has moved rapidly to exploit Burma's rich natural resources. Most of the electricity generated by Myitsone's envisaged power plant was due to go to China.

Thousands of villagers would have to be resettled and some have already been forced to move.

Myitsone was a huge construction project in an environmentally sensitive, earthquake prone area where armed ethnic minority Kachin fighters are battling the Burmese army, and which had become a unifying cause for the political opposition.

Enough reason, it seems, for the Burmese president to call a halt.

* Why the mega-dam was halted

This year has been one of the most violent in Kachin state in more than a decade.

The dam, which was due for completion in 2019, would be one of the world's tallest at 152m (500ft) high.

The campaign against the project brought together conservationists, environmentalists, Kachin activists and the political opposition.

Their objections ranged from the lack of public consultation to the potential environmental impact of the project.

The dam would create a reservoir of some 766 sq km (300 sq miles) - about the size of Singapore - and displace thousands of ethnic Kachin villagers, our correspondent says.

"We have to respect the will of the people as our government is elected by the people," Thein Sein said.

"We have a responsibility to solve the worries of the people so we will stop construction of the Myitsone Dam during our current government."

The decision to suspend construction was unexpected.

Earlier this month, a report in the local Eleven journal said Electric Power Minister Zaw Min had declared that construction of the dam would proceed despite the objections.

with regards.
Mr. Kyaw Min Lwin

I'm really happy that the dangerous dam project collapsed. #9 (permalink) Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:13 am   I'm really happy that the dangerous dam project collapsed.

Dear Readers,
MAD DAM,

( The history of Burma (Myanmar) covers the period from the time of first-known human settlements 11,000 years ago to the present day. The earliest inhabitants of recorded history were the Pyu who entered the Irrawaddy valley from the north circa 1st century BCE. By the 4th century CE, the Pyu had founded several city states as far south as Prome (Pyay), and adopted Buddhism. Farther south, the Mon, who had entered from Haribhunjaya and Dvaravati kingdoms in the east, had established city states of their own along the Lower Burmese coastline by the early 9th century.

Another group, the Mranma (Burmans or Bamar) of the Nanzhao Kingdom, entered the upper Irrawaddy valley in the early 9th century. They went on to establish the Pagan Empire (1044–1287), the first ever unification of Irrawaddy valley and its periphery. ) Wiki

( The Irrawaddy River or Ayeyarwady River is a river that flows from north to south through Burma (Myanmar). It is the country's largest river and most important commercial waterway. Originating from the confluence of the N'mai and Mali rivers, it flows relatively straight North-South before emptying through the Irrawaddy Delta into the Andaman Sea. Its drainage area of about 255,081 km² covers a large part of Burma. After Rudyard Kipling's poem, it is sometimes referred to as 'The Road to Mandalay'.

As early as the sixth century the river was used for trade and transport. Having developed an extensive network of irrigation canals, the river became important to the British Empire after it had colonized Burma. The river is still as vital today, as a considerable amount of (export) goods and traffic moves by river. Rice is produced in the Irrawaddy Delta, irrigated by water from the river.

In 2007, Burma's military government signed an agreement for the construction of seven dams, yielding a total 13,360 kW, in the N'mai and Mali Rivers, including the 3,600 kW Myitsone Dam at the confluence of both rivers. Environmental organisations have raised concerns about the ecological impacts on the river's biodiverse ecosystems. Animals potentially impacted include the threatened Irrawaddy Dolphin. ) Wiki.

#You can see how ,why and how much we love Irrawaddy throughout the history and civlization of Burma. Irrawaddy is hope of all national races, the rich or the poor.
The most ridiculous things about the dam project are they will completely wipe out all flora and fauna in Kachin State and turn it into the concrete jungle.
There will be no water, even to drink, for the people who live along Irrawaddy, all irrigation channels will be dried up and there will be no crops for Burma.
That means there will be no Burma in ten years times. Can It be allowed to happen?
The worst thing is NO NATIONAL RACES OF BURMA IS TO CONSUME THE ELECTRICITY FROM THAT MAD DAM PROJECT. THE DAM PROJECT IS TO PROVIDE ELECTRICITY TO CHINA.

oh dear god, please give your mercy of enlightenment to those greedy numskulls. Help them to repay their sins.

I hope my dear readers can understand how we, Burmese are concerned about this mad dam project. Burma was almost sold out for 3 billions. Oh help me god.

WITH REGARDS,
Mr. Kyaw Min Lwin

I'm really happy that the dangerous dam project collapsed. #10 (permalink) Thu Oct 06, 2011 14:05 pm   I'm really happy that the dangerous dam project collapsed.

( Rice Bowl in Southeast Asia
Burma/Myanmar
The Irrawaddy Delta in Myanmar used to be one of the most important source of rice in the region until its production declined due to various reasons, including its unstable political situation. Wiki.)

Dear Readers,

Burma was once called Rice Bowl of Asia, and it will be so again in the near future. As long as the Irrawaddy river flows NATURALLY. Burma contributes its rice to most of countries in the region and the several developing countries throughout the world as well. Burma produces quality rice with relatively cheap price. What I'm saying is if the Irrawaddy doesn't flow as it used to do , the people of Rice Bowl of Asia will eventually be starved to death. And there will be no regular and emergency rice supply from for Burma to the world which is now under the frequent threat of grave climate change. As Burmese are mostly simple and generous people , we never hesitate to donate or supply our Burmese Rice to those who are in urgent and vital need.

kind regards.
Mr. Kyaw Min Lwin

I'm really happy that the dangerous dam project collapsed. #11 (permalink) Fri Oct 07, 2011 15:53 pm   I'm really happy that the dangerous dam project collapsed.

Dear Readers.,

For your kind judgment that how important the Irrawaddy river is for Burma and its cultural , social, natural, economical and ecological aspects and factors. And the South East Asia region as well. It would be a great misery that Burma and Burmese were faded away with the Irrawaddy river if the mad dam project was completed?

with kind regards.

( Prehistory of Burma

The earliest archaeological evidence suggests that cultures existed in Burma as early as 11,000 BCE. Most indications of early settlement have been found in the central dry zone, where scattered sites appear in close proximity to the Irrawaddy River.

The Anyathian, Burma's Stone Age, existed at a time thought to parallel the lower and middle Paleolithic in Europe.
The Neolithic or New Stone Age, when plants and animals were first domesticated and polished stone tools appeared, is evidenced in Burma by three caves located near Taunggyi at the edge of the Shan plateau that are dated to 10000 to 6000 BC.

About 1500 BCE, people in the region were turning copper into bronze, growing rice, and domesticating chickens and pigs; they were among the first people in the world to do so. By 500 BCE, iron-working settlements emerged in an area south of present-day Mandalay. Bronze-decorated coffins and burial sites filled with earthenware remains have been excavated.
Archaeological evidence at Samon Valley south of Mandalay suggests rice growing settlements that traded with China between 500 BC and 200 CE. Wiki. )
Mr. Kyaw Min Lwin

I'm really happy that the dangerous dam project collapsed. #12 (permalink) Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:26 am   I'm really happy that the dangerous dam project collapsed.

Dear Rearders,
For your kind information,
With kind regards.
Top Ten Rice Producers by Country

Together, China and India accounted for over half of the world’s rice supply in 2006.

1. China … 182 million tons (28.8% of global rice harvest)

2. India … 136.5 million tons (21.6%)

3. Indonesia … 54.4 million tons (8.6%)

4. Bangladesh … 43.7 million tons (6.9%)

5. Vietnam … 35.8 million tons (5.7%)

6. Thailand … 29.3 million tons (4.6%)

7. BURMA … 25.2 million tons (4%) ( THANKS TO THE IRRAWADDY RIVER )

8. Philippines … 15.3 million tons (2.4%)

9. Brazil … 11.5 million tons (1.8%)

10. Japan … 10.7 million tons (1.7%).
Mr. Kyaw Min Lwin

I'm really happy that the dangerous dam project collapsed. #13 (permalink) Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:20 am   I'm really happy that the dangerous dam project collapsed.

Dear Readers,

I wrote this topic as a Burmese who loves nature.
I'm not a politician nor a member of any political party. I'm no subject to anybody.
I'm a just an ordinary Burmese who loves his country and its nature. ( And you? )
Please observe some more? Thank you very much.
with kind regards.

( WikiLeaks cables: Americans funded groups that stalled Burma dam project

Newly leaked document reveals support for opponents of proposed Myitsone dam, widely seen as a Chinese project. )

The US embassy in Rangoon funded some of the civil society groups in the Burmese region that forced the government to suspend a controversial Chinese dam on the Irrawaddy river, according to a US diplomatic cable.

The January 2010 cable on the $3.6bn (£2.3bn) Myitsone dam project noted that local groups had "voiced strong opposition to the project on economic, environmental and cultural grounds and have organised grassroots campaigns to rally others to their cause".

The cable, signed by then US charge d'affaires, Larry Dinger, went on to say: "An unusual aspect of this case is the role grassroots organisations have played in opposing the dam, which speaks to the growing strength of civil society groups in Kachin state, including recipients of embassy small grants."

Dinger said that although Burma had launched a number of hydropower projects to address its acute electricity shortages, the Myitsone dam was widely seen as a Chinese project, with China the principal beneficiary.

"Given past evidence from foreign investments in Burma's energy sector, it is very likely, as many locals believe, that both construction of the dam and the energy it produces will primarily benefit Chinese companies and consumers, rather than Burmese," he said.

Presciently, he added: "Dam-related social unrest is a possibility in light of the already-tense political situation in Kachin state and the dislocations the project is expected to cause." )

P.S ***** Personally, I disgust so called American and EU's involvements and concerns in our country. And their subjects in Burma and throughout the world alike. Because they were never honest to us. They have never been honest to us. And they are never honest to us. I wish if they could mind their poor domestic affairs first. Rather than shedding croc's tears. Their involvements will only lead to a civil war. In a civil war, we were all be destroyed and they would benefit our oil,gas, women,forest,gems, water, and everything. Oh dear my queen.

( Burma is not for sale. Not all Burmese are as dumb as you think. )
Mr. Kyaw Min Lwin

I'm really happy that the dangerous dam project collapsed. #14 (permalink) Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:23 am   I'm really happy that the dangerous dam project collapsed.

Dear Readers.

( Burma dam disruption concerns China

By Kathrin Hille in Beijing
The Irrawaddy River

Beijing has called on Burma to protect the rights of Chinese companies after construction was halted on the $3.6bn Myitsone dam, in a rare example of public disagreement between the two neighbours and close allies.

“[China] demands its companies to strictly follow the law of the countries they operate in but also calls on the respective governments to protect Chinese companies’ legal rights and interests,” said Hong Lei, a spokesman for China’s foreign ministry.
More
On this story

* Reformists begin to make mark in Burma
* Burma suspends $3.6bn China dam project
* Suu Kyi meets Burmese leader
* Suu Kyi defies regime with ‘political’ trip
* Peter Aspden Aung San Suu Kyi to give BBC lectures

“[The] China-Burma joint investment project ... has undergone scientific evaluation and strict examination by both sides,” Mr Hong added. “Issues during its implementation should be handled properly through friendly negotiations.”

On Friday Thein Sein, Burma’s president, ordered a halt to work on the project. The Burmese government had previously insisted that construction would proceed despite protests.

The Myitsone project’s main contractors are China Power Investment Corporation, one of the country’s big power producers, and Asia World Company, a Burmese group.

Sinohydro, a China Power subsidiary and one of the world’s largest dam contractors, and another Chinese state-owned dam construction company, Gezhouba, are the primary subcontractors.

The dam, the largest of seven planned along the Irrawaddy river, is located in Kachin state, an area which was long under the control of guerillas fighting for independence in the region. The planned relocation of thousands of people and controversy over the environmental impact assessment commissioned by China Power have sparked frequent protests.

The disruption could add momentum to a re-examination of Chinese state-owned groups’ push into infrastructure and power projects in often high-risk developing countries.

About $8,000bn in infrastructure investments are expected to be committed between 2011 and 2020, according to the Asian Development Bank and consultancy group McKinsey. China has made prioritised foreign infrastructure participation in its 12th five-year plan, allocating about $15bn for infrastructure projects in Burma and other member countries in the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (Asean).

As it becomes more difficult to obtain export finance from Japan and South Korea, construction and power companies are asking Chinese firms to join their invesment consortiums in order to qualify for financing from Chinese state banks, which typically apply less scrutiny than other lenders. But Beijing has started taking a closer look at potential political risk following wars in Sudan and Libya – two countries in which Chinese companies had been very active.

“When Chinese undertake a large project domestically, the developers, contractors, manufacturers, suppliers, lenders and off-takers are often state-owned and are pursuing a project that has been identified as part of a wider domestic priority,” said Christopher Stephens, a partner at Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe, the law firm.

“They have to deal with unfamiliar labour, environmental, tax, and other laws, local subcontractors and suppliers, and less friendly courts and regulators. It’s quite a different set of risk analyses.”)

Kind regards.
Mr. Kyaw Min Lwin

I'm really happy that the dangerous dam project collapsed. #15 (permalink) Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:35 am   I'm really happy that the dangerous dam project collapsed.

Dear Readers.

In terms of all its history , culture, tradition, human races, natural resources and its natural contributions to the world, some billion dollars are only peanuts? How ridiculous are these neocolonialists. Help me god.

I hate any country which wants to wrong my country. And its citizens. If China goes on this mad dam project, all Chinese will be my enemies, including my own brother in law and my nieces.

kind regards.
Mr. Kyaw Min Lwin

If we stand 23.5 degree tilted? | help
Who wants to sit in this Chair!A funny joke from your locationABHAI fancy to be a Mililtary Intelligence.the sentence true or falseAnyone familiar with the test called G-TELPWie gut verstehen Sie Muttersprachler?Double Jeopardy?Specialised EducationAll in One!What do you do during and after finish your work?Do you manage your time effectively?How do you normally make your buying decisions.