towards a lower place, position or section
likely
downward
previously
minutely

'Whose' in questions

"break out" vs. "break away" | out of shape and can't carry the necessary equipment
'Whose' in questions #1 (permalink) Wed Oct 05, 2011 16:13 pm   'Whose' in questions

Hi everyone,

Would it be at all correct to use 'whose' for questions about inanimate things?

- Whose cat is this bell?
or
- Whose computer is this screen?

or rather

Which cat is this bell from?

Thanks a lot
Manelj

Location: Barcelona

'Whose' in questions #2 (permalink) Wed Oct 05, 2011 18:32 pm   'Whose' in questions

Whose cat does this bell belong to? <-- 'whose' relates to the owner of the cat, not the cat.
Whose computer does this screen belong to? <-- 'whose' related to the person who owns the computer, not the computer.

To ask what/which cat the bell is from, do not use 'whose'.
_________________

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
He always helps out the underprivilegedWhat does "front me" mean?What does "such a flake" mean?She is a fun, witty girlthey have been cohabitinghe packs a mean punchAmerican management is very results drivenDoes 'sponsor' mean the same as 'give help'?What does 'Priceless' mean?interest vs. interestinglyCome under a lot of scrutiny?Sovereign' vs 'autonomous'?relation between words called when the meaning of part of the word is alike?