act of receiving; approval; state of believing in something
journal
smart
liability
acceptance

out of shape and can't carry the necessary equipment

'Whose' in questions | What does 'Priceless' mean?
out of shape and can't carry the necessary equipment #1 (permalink) Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:31 am   out of shape and can't carry the necessary equipment

ESL/EFL Test #595 "Real Life: Hiking and The Great Outdoors (1)", question 8

When Lawrence went on his last hiking trip, he hired a ......... to carry all of his gear for him. The guy he hired is young and very fit. Lawrence, on the other hand, is out-of-shape and can't carry of the necessary equipment by himself anymore.

(a) pachyderm
(b) donkey
(c) ferry
(d) porter

ESL/EFL Test #595 "Real Life: Hiking and The Great Outdoors (1)", answer 8

When Lawrence went on his last hiking trip, he hired a porter to carry all of his gear for him. The guy he hired is young and very fit. Lawrence, on the other hand, is out-of-shape and can't carry of the necessary equipment by himself anymore.

Correct answer: (d) porter

_________________________

There is a typo in the third sentence of this test question 8 of English Language Proficiency Test, Advanced Level # 133. I think the correct verb is either "carry" or "carry off" rather than "carry of", which is used in the third sentence. Could you please verify this matter?

Best wishes,
Bhikkhu1991a.
Bhikkhu1991a

out of shape and can't carry the necessary equipment #2 (permalink) Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:13 am   out of shape and can't carry the necessary equipment

Thanks, Bhikkhu. I have fixed that and some punctuation problems in the test. A corrected version will appear with our next database update.
_________________

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
He always helps out the underprivilegedWhat does "front me" mean?What does "such a flake" mean?She is a fun, witty girlthey have been cohabitinghe packs a mean punchAmerican management is very results drivenDoes 'sponsor' mean the same as 'give help'?interest vs. interestinglyCome under a lot of scrutiny?Sovereign' vs 'autonomous'?correlative of comparison: as ... asrelation between words called when the meaning of part of the word is alike?