to surpass; to pass; to go beyond; to outdo
exceed
equal
worry
gross

He always helps out the underprivileged

Does 'sponsor' mean the same as 'give help'? | interest vs. interestingly
He always helps out the underprivileged #1 (permalink) Thu Oct 06, 2011 14:05 pm   He always helps out the underprivileged

ESL/EFL Test #152 "How to describe people: attitude expressions", question 3

Glenn is very .......... He always helps out the underprivileged people in our community.

(a) creative
(b) reticent
(c) sociable
(d) generous

ESL/EFL Test #152 "How to describe people: attitude expressions", answer 3

Glenn is very generous. He always helps out the underprivileged people in our community.

Correct answer: (d) generous

_________________________

what is the difference between: 'help' and 'help out'?

many thanks :-)

He always helps out the underprivileged #2 (permalink) Thu Oct 06, 2011 14:40 pm   He always helps out the underprivileged

'Out' is a kind of 'emphasizer' or 'completer'; it carries no solid meaning. It also adds a note of informality, for some reason perhaps because it isn't really necessary.
_________________

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
out of shape and can't carry the necessary equipment'Whose' in questionsthey have been cohabitingWhat does 'Priceless' mean?Come under a lot of scrutiny?Sovereign' vs 'autonomous'?"break away" vs "break out"meaning of aftertastecorrelative of comparison: as ... asrelation between words called when the meaning of part of the word is alike?tax return vs tax declarationWhat does break down mean?Why it is used "was going to"?