to deny connection with; to renounce; to repudiate; to disavow
disclaim
embrace
evoke
appeal

Why it's not" breath out "?

What does this mean: Come home full circle? | Phrase: May I talk with NAME of person (e.g. Tommy)?
Why it's not" breath out "? #1 (permalink) Mon Oct 10, 2011 15:13 pm   Why it's not" breath out "?

I just took a test as bellow:

Why we can't use "breath out " here ?

The first time you see the view you can't believe it. It almost takes your breath ..........

(a) out
(b) over
(c) under
(d) away

Business Idiom in English, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #127 "Ways of commenting", answer 5

The first time you see the view you can't believe it. It almost takes your breath away.

Correct answer: (d) awayThe first time you see the view you can't believe it. It almost takes your breath away.
_________________
Do remeber 3Cs in your life
JessicaGTC

Location: Shenzhen, China

Why it's not" breath out "? #2 (permalink) Mon Oct 10, 2011 15:41 pm   Why it's not" breath out "?

The widely known expresison is "to take one's breath away", which means "to amaze, astonish to a high degree".

"to take one's breath out" doesn't have this idiomatic meaning, and therefore makes no sense in the sentence.
_________________

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
get away Scot-freeWould you like me to transfer you?What does at the very least mean?typo: surgeonhonest, hard-working folksMy friend is brokeWhat does "pass up" mean?meaning of aftertastemeaning of 'pass over'meaning of "pass round"What is the difference between 'voyage' and 'carriage'?What does this phrasal verb mean: "drop out"?What does break down mean?