Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to deny connection with; to renounce; to repudiate; to disavow
disclaim
embrace
evoke
appeal
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Why it's not" breath out "?

ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
What does this mean: Come home full circle? | Phrase: May I talk with NAME of person (e.g. Tommy)?
listening exercises
Why it's not" breath out "? #1 (permalink) Mon Oct 10, 2011 15:13 pm   Why it's not" breath out "?

I just took a test as bellow:

Why we can't use "breath out " here ?

The first time you see the view you can't believe it. It almost takes your breath ..........

(a) out
(b) over
(c) under
(d) away

Business Idiom in English, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #127 "Ways of commenting", answer 5

The first time you see the view you can't believe it. It almost takes your breath away.

Correct answer: (d) awayThe first time you see the view you can't believe it. It almost takes your breath away.

Why it's not" breath out "? #2 (permalink) Mon Oct 10, 2011 15:41 pm   Why it's not" breath out "?

The widely known expresison is "to take one's breath away", which means "to amaze, astonish to a high degree".

"to take one's breath out" doesn't have this idiomatic meaning, and therefore makes no sense in the sentence.
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
What does this mean: Come home full circle? | Phrase: May I talk with NAME of person (e.g. Tommy)?
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
get away Scot-freeWould you like me to transfer you?What does at the very least mean?typo: surgeonhonest, hard-working folksMy friend is brokeWhat does "pass up" mean?meaning of aftertastemeaning of 'pass over'meaning of "pass round"What is the difference between 'voyage' and 'carriage'?What does this phrasal verb mean: "drop out"?What does break down mean?