to extract from; to bring out; to draw out
soar
donate
elicit
extradite

Meaning of "ticked off"

Meaning of poverty | This doesn't make any sense: After six more phone calls I...
Meaning of "ticked off" #1 (permalink) Tue May 02, 2006 7:32 am   Meaning of "ticked off"

ESL/EFL Test #199 "Phrasal Verbs (T)", question 2

Kristie was ......... at Matt because of the things he said to her last week.

(a) ticked on
(b) ticked about
(c) ticked off

ESL/EFL Test #199 "Phrasal Verbs (T)", answer 2

Kristie was ticked off at Matt because of the things he said to her last week.

Correct answer: (c) ticked off
_________________________

meaning of "ticked off"

Lola
Lola

Meaning of "ticked off" #2 (permalink) Tue May 02, 2006 9:13 am   Meaning of "ticked off"

Lola,
in this case 'tick off" has the meaning of "get angry".
In general it has many meanings such as "scold", "curse" and also "to mark with tick" for example, in list.
Pamela

Location: RF

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
Meaning of "ticked off" #3 (permalink) Tue May 02, 2006 10:17 am   Meaning of "ticked off"

Hi Lola

I agree and also disagree with Pamela. ;)

'Ticked off' means 'angry'. To 'tick someone off' means to 'make someone angry'. 'Get ticked off' means 'become angry'.

'Tick off' can also mean 'to mark with a tick', as Pamela mentionend. It also can mean to 'list or specify one by one' (not just on paper, but also a verbal listing).

Hi Pamela
I have never heard 'tick off' used to mean 'scold' or 'curse'. So, in my opinion, 'tick off' does NOT have either of these meanings. But, maybe it's 'British English'... (?)

However, I can imagine that you might scold someone as a result of being ticked off. And during this scolding there might be a one-by-one listing of all the things the other person had done wrong.

_________________

Ticked off #4 (permalink) Tue May 02, 2006 16:19 pm   Ticked off

Yes, I agree with both of these responses. "Ticked off" means to get angry about something. And it usually has a stronger meaning than to just get annoyed about something.
Take care.

---------------------------
_________________

Meaning of "ticked off" #5 (permalink) Wed May 03, 2006 14:23 pm   Meaning of "ticked off"

You're right,Yankee!It's British English.Anyway,I'd like to detalize that these meanings are used only in informal speech.
Pamela

Location: RF

Tick off #6 (permalink) Wed May 03, 2006 23:07 pm   Tick off

'Tick off' does seem to have the meaning of 'scold', too, as Pamela indicated. Here's what I've found:

Tick off: (informal) to reprimand (someone): the policeman ticked him off for riding without any lights.

Tick off: tell off (fam) (rebuke, especially children): his father ticked him off for his impudence

Tick off: (sl) rebuke sharply, scold

Tick sb off (SPEAK SEVERELY) phrasal verb [M] UK INFORMAL
to speak severely to and criticize someone who has done something wrong:
I had to tick him off for being late again.

Meaning of "ticked off" #7 (permalink) Thu May 04, 2006 8:13 am   Meaning of "ticked off"

Hi Conchita

I also noticed that the 'scold' meaning was mentioned in some dictionaries. But, as I said, in I've never heard "tick off" used that way.

If I heard someone say "He ticked me off", I would understand "He made me angry."

So, it looks like it must one of those British/American differences.

I would be interested in knowing just how common that meaning (scold) is in British English.

_________________

Tick off #8 (permalink) Thu May 04, 2006 9:10 am   Tick off

Hi Amy,

Tick off is very common in the sense of telling someone that they shouldn't have done something - indicating that they've done it wrong. A child is ticked off by a neighbour for kicking a ball into his garden - an old lady ticks off her grandson for driving the car too fast - you can actually be ticked off for giving someone a present when you really shouldn't have - a teacher ticks off a pupil for being late. These are all examples of what might be called mild rebukes. It also appears in this construction:

I was given a good ticking off by the boss for forgetting to check the figures.

_________________

Meaning of "ticked off" #9 (permalink) Thu May 04, 2006 11:27 am   Meaning of "ticked off"

Thanks Alan.

I guess I deserve a good ticking off for not knowing that. :oops:

_________________

Meaning of "ticked off" #10 (permalink) Thu May 04, 2006 13:40 pm   Meaning of "ticked off"

Thanks to all of you!
Pamela

Location: RF

What does "enacted" mean?Meaning of "went like a lead balloon"Injured vs. seriousWoods vs. wood (countable vs. uncountable nouns)Prepositions of timeMeaning of phrasal verb 'carry off'"in last year" vs. "last year"Anywhere vs. somewhereCan't we use 'in' instead of 'at', if so what is the reason?'Which of the cars' vs. 'Whom of the cars'A kilo vs. some kilosMeaning of actuaryWhat is the difference between 'get' and 'got'?