esteem; respect; integrity; honesty; award; privilege
registering
honor
cabinet
accommodation

had been restored vs. was restored

What is "a Punch and Judy show"? | Meaning of disposition
had been restored vs. was restored #1 (permalink) Tue Oct 18, 2011 13:29 pm   had been restored vs. was restored

ESL/EFL Test #177 "Phrasal idioms with the verb 'put'", question 10

A Betawi couple hoping to marry last weekend were forced to ......... their wedding ceremony until law and order had been restored in the city.

(a) put on
(b) put in
(c) put off
(d) put out

ESL/EFL Test #177 "Phrasal idioms with the verb 'put'", answer 10

A Betawi couple hoping to marry last weekend were forced to put off their wedding ceremony until law and order had been restored in the city.

Correct answer: (c) put off

_________________________

why: 'had been restored' in the second part of the sentence?
could it also be: was restored?

many thanks

had been restored vs. was restored #2 (permalink) Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:15 am   had been restored vs. was restored

The simple past is also fine. The writer evidently wants to make it clear that the restoration must be completed before the wedding can be held.
_________________

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
"time off" instead of "off-time"I care for /take care of my elderly mother.articlesWill put up?pulling out of Iraq now is not an optionthe ingenious Crusoeyou would buy yourselfwhat's diffrent between insist and persist?'free reign' vs 'free rein''The athlete will train' vs 'The athlete trains''themselves' is an object for the verb 'raise'Phrase: going to experience light snow'problem to solve' vs 'problem to cut'