general expenses; manufacturing and business expenses
cash
border
overhead
layman

Meaning of poverty

'Which of the cars' vs. 'Whom of the cars' | Meaning of "ticked off"
Meaning of poverty #1 (permalink) Thu May 04, 2006 10:14 am   Meaning of poverty

Business Idiom in English, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #168 "Poverty in the US: expressions that describe living standards", question 3

Families and individuals are defined as living in ......... if their incomes fall below certain levels.

(a) poor
(b) poverty
(c) scarcity
(d) dearth

ESL/EFL Test #168 "Poverty in the US: expressions that describe living standards", answer 3

Families and individuals are defined as living in poverty if their incomes fall below certain levels.

Correct answer: (b) poverty
_________________________

meaning of poverty, please

Monika
Monika

Poverty #2 (permalink) Thu May 04, 2006 11:57 am   Poverty

Poverty means being poor, that is, having little or no money. Example: he lives in poverty.

Below the poverty line: with less than the smallest income necessary to provide the minimum necessities to live.

Of course, poverty is a relative concept. The poor in certain countries would be considered rich in others.

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
What does "enacted" mean?Meaning of "went like a lead balloon"Woods vs. wood (countable vs. uncountable nouns)Prepositions of timeMeaning of phrasal verb 'carry off'"in last year" vs. "last year"Anywhere vs. somewhereCan't we use 'in' instead of 'at', if so what is the reason?This doesn't make any sense: After six more phone calls I...A kilo vs. some kilosMeaning of actuaryWhat is the difference between 'get' and 'got'?Easy vs. facile