Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

in every part; at every point or moment
beyond
outside
until
throughout
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Another factor for change has been international equity investors

ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Would | spreading it on kind of thick
listening exercises
Another factor for change has been international equity investors #1 (permalink) Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:21 am   Another factor for change has been international equity investors

Business English Lesson, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #163 "Evolution of the Stock Exchange", question 9

Another factor for change has been international equity investors, who have shown a ferocious appetite for both domestic and foreign equity investment, even ......... the dot com bubble.

(a) aboveboard
(b) nevertheless
(c) notwithstanding
(d) thereabouts

Business English Lesson, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #163 "Evolution of the Stock Exchange", answer 9

Another factor for change has been international equity investors, who have shown a ferocious appetite for both domestic and foreign equity investment, even notwithstanding the dot com bubble.

Correct answer: (c) notwithstanding

Hello,

This test sentence of Question 9 is a sentence fragment. Therefore, it is hard for me to figure out the meaning of the sentence. Could you please rectify the mistake?

Thank you.

Best wishes,
Bhikkhu1991a.
Bhikkhu1991a
I'm here quite often ;-)

Another factor for change has been international equity investors #2 (permalink) Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:25 am   Another factor for change has been international equity investors

It is not a fragment, Bhikkhu:

Another factor for change (S) has been (V) international equity investors (C), who... (subordinate clause modifying 'investors'.)

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
Another factor for change has been international equity investors #3 (permalink) Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:34 am   Another factor for change has been international equity investors

Hello Mister Micawber,

Thanks for correcting the mistake I have made. Next time, I will be more careful about verb formations such as "has been" and noun complements.

Thanks again.

Best wishes,
Bhikkhu1991a.
Bhikkhu1991a
I'm here quite often ;-)

Would | spreading it on kind of thick
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
stingy and miserlynow he's on skid row.Done and stuffyou ratted me outthe arduous taskturned upside down with turmoilregulation or regular?What happened to you then?What is "business hours"?What does "business end user" mean?Meaning of "lost his touch"Meaning of "quite bring off wearing shorts"Meaning of refrigerator