Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to authorize; to appoint as representative; to pass a duty or responsibility on to someone else
suit
receipt
explain
delegate
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Can't we use 'in' instead of 'at', if so what is the reason?

ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Anywhere vs. somewhere | Meaning of phrasal verb 'carry off'
listening exercises
Can't we use 'in' instead of 'at', if so what is the reason? #1 (permalink) Sat May 06, 2006 11:47 am   Can't we use 'in' instead of 'at', if so what is the reason?

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #203 "Prepositions of Time and Date (1)", question 8

I'm meeting an old friend for lunch ......... noon. I haven't seen her for a long time.

(a) on
(b) in
(c) at

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #203 "Prepositions of Time and Date (1)", answer 8

I'm meeting an old friend for lunch at noon. I haven't seen her for a long time.

Correct answer: (c) at

Its quite right to use 'at' for night as well as night.
Cant we use 'in' instead of 'at', if so what is the reason?
Can you please explain the time intervals for morning, afternoon and evenings?

Thank you,

Avi
Avi

At vs. In #2 (permalink) Sat May 06, 2006 23:16 pm   At vs. In

Hi Avi,
In this case "at noon" or as you added later "at night," the preposition "at" is used because "at' indicates a specific time; whereas, "in" does not.
For example, we can say "in the winter" or "in the evening" because we're talking about a certain time BLOCK or a specific time PERIOD - from beginning to end. But, if we're talking about a specific time - not a time period - then "at" is the correct answer.
You can't say "in noon," "in night" or "in 9:00 pm" when you really mean at that specific time - "at noon," "at night" and "at 9:00 pm."
For most days of the week, we use "on" and for most specific times, we use "at." Sometimes, you could say "at about noon" but again, that indicates a specific time.
I hope that helps.
Linda
I'm here quite often ;-)
Linda Arlia

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
Anywhere vs. somewhere | Meaning of phrasal verb 'carry off'
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
Diffrence between main verb and present verbWhy only Those is proper here? Not 'these'?'He speaks' vs. 'He is speaking'What does "enacted" mean?Meaning of "went like a lead balloon"Injured vs. seriousWoods vs. wood (countable vs. uncountable nouns)Prepositions of time"in last year" vs. "last year"This doesn't make any sense: After six more phone calls I...Meaning of poverty'Which of the cars' vs. 'Whom of the cars'A kilo vs. some kilos