to fill with water and sink; to fall; to fail; to stumble; to cause to sink
founder
recap
harmonize
term

'Haven't I seen you anywhere before' - Why incorrect?

Question tags | 'run off' vs 'run down'
'Haven't I seen you anywhere before' - Why incorrect? #1 (permalink) Sat May 06, 2006 14:55 pm   'Haven't I seen you anywhere before' - Why incorrect?

ESL/EFL Test #147 "Compound words: somone, anyone, somewhere, anywhere, something, anything", question 3

You're face looks horribly familiar. Haven't I seen you ......... before?

(a) anywhere
(b) nowhere
(c) somewhere
(d) everywhere

ESL/EFL Test #147 "Compound words: somone, anyone, somewhere, anywhere, something, anything", answer 3

You're face looks horribly familiar. Haven't I seen you somewhere before?

Correct answer: (c) somewhere

You're face looks horribly familiar. Haven't I seen you anywhere before?
_________________________

Dear Sir

Why not "somewhere" here?

Thanks a lot in advance

Stone
Christina328

'Haven't I seen you anywhere before' - Why incorrect? #2 (permalink) Sat May 06, 2006 15:10 pm   'Haven't I seen you anywhere before' - Why incorrect?

First,"Your face looks horribly familiar".Usage of "somewhere" gives us a hint that he or she met him or her earlier at a definite place,that's why this word is feasible here.
Pamela

Location: RF

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
'Haven't I seen you anywhere before' - Why incorrect? #3 (permalink) Sun May 07, 2006 8:54 am   'Haven't I seen you anywhere before' - Why incorrect?

This is a question of using "some & any". We use "some" in affirmative sentences and "any" in negative and interrogative sentences.

Have fun!
Sunflower

Location: Earth

'Haven't I seen you anywhere before' - Why incorrect? #4 (permalink) Sun May 07, 2006 9:12 am   'Haven't I seen you anywhere before' - Why incorrect?

Hi sunflower

That's true as a general rule, but the test question is both interrogative and negative. And the correct answer is "somewhere".

So, I'll add one more bit of information here:

"Some" is also used in questions when the person who asked the question clearly thinks "yes" will be the answer or is looking for affirmation. And that is the case in the test question.

You could also re-write the test question this way:
I've seen you somewhere before, haven't I?

Maybe that's also helpful in understanding the 'correct answer' in test question.

_________________

'Haven't I seen you anywhere before' - Why incorrect? #5 (permalink) Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:59 am   'Haven't I seen you anywhere before' - Why incorrect?

Hey guys,
Don't wanna be a pain in the neck, but typo in "You're face looks horribly familiar" still not corrected.
As Pamela mentioned before the correct variant is "Your face looks horribly familiar".
_________________
I find your Lack of Faith disturbing!
The Force is out there!
Gheon

Location: Center of Universe, Jedi Academy

Question tags | 'run off' vs 'run down'
Ratification has been outlawed in all states?Simple present third personWhat does 'bench' mean?The first item on the statement. vs The first item of the statement.off-handnothing short of vs. no lessyou pick up your own soilGet out of my house!Why they are offten called farmers' markets?Is "retire debt" a fixed phrase? Meaning pay off?Asset-based loans are an alternative to traditional bank lending because...the first year's depreciation using the sm-of-the-year's method?meaning of temporary