Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to prosper; to flourish; to succeed
thrive
formulate
mention
increase
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

'You're welcome' vs. 'You are welcome'

Goto page 1, 2  Next

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Has just won vs. just won | meet with somebody vs. meet somebody
listening exercises
'You're welcome' vs. 'You are welcome' #1 (permalink) Sat May 06, 2006 15:07 pm   'You're welcome' vs. 'You are welcome'

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #33 "Responses (6)", question 2

John: 'I am most grateful.'
Sue: '.........'

(a) You are welcoming.
(b) You welcome.
(c) You're welcome.
(d) You are welcomed.

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #33 "Responses (6)", answer 2

Sue: 'You're welcome.'

Correct answer: (c) You're welcome.

Your answer was: incorrect
Sue: 'You are welcomed.'

hi,
why not you are welcomed

Feodor
Feodor

'You're welcome' vs. 'You are welcome' #2 (permalink) Sat May 06, 2006 15:38 pm   'You're welcome' vs. 'You are welcome'

In English there is such a combination "to be welcome"which doesn't require a passive form.It's an interjection but regarding your sentence I'm inclined to suppose that it is a sinonym of"not at all""never mention it"It's just my humble opinion,and nothing more :)
Pamela
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
'You're welcome' vs. 'You are welcome' #3 (permalink) Sat May 06, 2006 17:28 pm   'You're welcome' vs. 'You are welcome'

Hi Feodor

"I'm most grateful" is similar in meaning to "Thank you very much".
And a standard response to "Thank you" is "You're welcome."

As Pamela mentioned, "You are welcomed" is a passive formation of the verb "to welcome". It's a little difficult for me to think of a good example in which "You are welcomed" would be used, but here is what comes to mind as a possibility:

Although you visit them every single day, you are always welcomed into their home as if it had been years since the last visit.

pamela wrote:
I'm inclined to suppose that it is a synonym of"not at all""never mention it"

Hi Pamela

I agree with "Not at all" as an alternative to "You're welcome". As to the other alternative, I would say "Don't mention it".

Amy

'You're welcome' vs. 'You are welcome' #4 (permalink) Sat Aug 11, 2012 14:45 pm   'You're welcome' vs. 'You are welcome'

Hello,

If you're welcome is synonym with not at all am I right when I think that two right answers are in the test.
Quote:
Sue: '.........'

Quote:
Can we answer the c. and d. answers ?
c. you're welcome
d you're welcomed

'you're welcome'/not at all/ -is more widely known than you're welcomed, isn't it?

Really I don't understand why we say you're welcomed and not you're welcome?

Regards:
Kati svaby

'You're welcome' vs. 'You are welcome' #5 (permalink) Sat Aug 11, 2012 15:12 pm   'You're welcome' vs. 'You are welcome'

'You're welcomed' is incorrect here, Kati.
'You're welcome' is the correct response.
Please see Esl_Expert's answer above yours for an indication of when 'You're welcomed' might be possible. It is highly unlikely that it would be used and it definitely wouldn't be used in response to 'Thank you', 'I am grateful', etc.
Language Coach

'You're welcome' vs. 'You are welcome' #6 (permalink) Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:25 am   'You're welcome' vs. 'You are welcome'

Hello Bez,

I Wrote my letter after reading ESL_Expert's letter. The piece dropped to me what is the difference between 'You are welcome ' and 'you are welcomed' and I concluded this what I have written.
I think that if I say sb for example: When do you want to some to see us ? You know you are always welcomed in our place.

Regards:
Kati

'You're welcome' vs. 'You are welcome' #7 (permalink) Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:16 am   'You're welcome' vs. 'You are welcome'

Hi Kati,

Your usage of 'You know you are always welcomed...' is correct with the meaning 'you are always given a warm welcome'.
You could also say 'You know you are always welcome...' with the meaning 'it is always a pleasure to see you and we will greet you warmly'.
Language Coach

'You're welcome' vs. 'You are welcome' #8 (permalink) Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:28 am   'You're welcome' vs. 'You are welcome'

Many thanks, Bez.

'You're welcome' vs. 'You are welcome' #9 (permalink) Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:31 am   'You're welcome' vs. 'You are welcome'

Hi Kati,

Your question: When do you want to some to see us ? would most naturally be followed by: You are always welcome to come whenever you like as this doesn't really describe how you will be treated but indicates the offer is always there.
Co-founder
Alan Townend

'You're welcome' vs. 'You are welcome' #10 (permalink) Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:34 am   'You're welcome' vs. 'You are welcome'

Many thanks Alan,

Now it is clear.
I can say as a greeting that you can come whenever because you are always welcome .

But if I want to stress my treat to him/her I can say:

You know you can come anywhere because we are always welcomed you.

Is it correct? Or only almost?

Regards:
kati sváby

'You're welcome' vs. 'You are welcome' #11 (permalink) Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:03 pm   'You're welcome' vs. 'You are welcome'

Hi Kati,

I really don't see anything wrong with your original response here:
Quote:
When do you want to some to see us ? You know you are always welcomed in our place.

with the meaning I gave earlier (how you will be treated), though I've already given 'You know you are always welcome' as an alternative (the offer is there), which would be the most natural response.

You now seem to have become more confused about it as your original was far more appropriate and correct than:
Quote:
You know you can come anywhere because we are always welcomed you.

I think you probably mean
You know you can come any time because we will always welcome you.
which is simply a less concise way of saying
'You know you are always welcome'.
or
'You know you are welcome any time'.
Language Coach

'You're welcome' vs. 'You are welcome' #12 (permalink) Sun Aug 12, 2012 13:02 pm   'You're welcome' vs. 'You are welcome'

Hi Bez,

Let me ask a last question:
You're welcome -it is a set expression, isn't it?

You're welcomed - is it also a set expression ?

Regards:
Kati

'You're welcome' vs. 'You are welcome' #13 (permalink) Sun Aug 12, 2012 16:11 pm   'You're welcome' vs. 'You are welcome'

I guess you could define 'you're welcome' as being a set expression, but not 'you're welcomed,' no.
Language Coach

'You're welcome' vs. 'You are welcome' #14 (permalink) Sun Aug 12, 2012 20:51 pm   'You're welcome' vs. 'You are welcome'

Hello Bez,

Many thanks for your answer.

Kati

Re: 'You're welcome' vs. 'You are welcome' #15 (permalink) Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:56 am   Re: 'You're welcome' vs. 'You are welcome'

HI, can't we use both forms, you are welcome and you're welcome, I think the second one is the abbreviation of firs one,

Yankee wrote:
Hi Feodor H

"I'm most grateful" is similar in meaning to "Thank you very much".
And a standard response to "Thank you" is "You're welcome."

As Pamela mentioned, "You are welcomed" is a passive formation of the verb "to welcome". It's a little difficult for me to think of a good example in which "You are welcomed" would be used, but here is what comes to mind as a possibility:

Although you visit them every single day, you are always welcomed into their home as if it had been years since the last visit.

pamela wrote:
I'm inclined to suppose that it is a synonym of"not at all""never mention it"

Hi Pamela

I agree with "Not at all" as an alternative to "You're welcome". As to the other alternative, I would say "Don't mention it".

Amy
Mohammad_Shah_Mushfiq
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

Has just won vs. just won | meet with somebody vs. meet somebody
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
The meaning of 'roll class'?to audition for a role?route vs. root'as soon as' vs 'when'It can be like this know? Make vs. madeWord order in indirect questions'You're welcome' vs. 'You are welcome', page 2How can cat be sitting on a wall?Un-hot vs. coldWhat does speak up mean?Give a lift to someoneMeaning of "that said"Difference between say and tell