Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

explanation; illustration; instruction
main
bearer
maintenance
description
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

"in last year" vs. "last year"

ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Woods vs. wood (countable vs. uncountable nouns) | Meaning of "went like a lead balloon"
listening exercises
"in last year" vs. "last year" #1 (permalink) Sat May 06, 2006 15:14 pm   "in last year" vs. "last year"

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #203 "Prepositions of Time and Date (1)", question 5

......... last year, the weather was really bad. This year, the forecast is better.

(a) In
(b) (none)
(c) About

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #203 "Prepositions of Time and Date (1)", answer 5

Last year, the weather was really bad. This year, the forecast is better.

Correct answer: (b) (none)

Your answer was: incorrect
In last year, the weather was really bad. This year, the forecast is better.

Dear Sir

why not "in last year" here?

thanks a lot in advance

Christina's son
Christina328
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

"in last year" vs. "last year" #2 (permalink) Sat May 06, 2006 15:24 pm   "in last year" vs. "last year"

Such adverbs of time as"last night","last year","last month"and etc.are used without any preposition.
Pamela
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
Last year etc #3 (permalink) Sat May 06, 2006 23:29 pm   Last year etc

Hi Christina's son,
I agree with Pamela that words such as "next, this or last" - when used with "time" - indicate that no preposition is necessary.
So, when you see something like "this month, last year, next week," you don't need a preposition before it.
However, Pamela, I don't think that words such as 'this, last and next' are adverbs of time but rather adjectives because "year' is a noun and not a verb. :)
I hope that helps.
Linda
I'm here quite often ;-)
Linda Arlia

Last year etc #4 (permalink) Sun May 07, 2006 12:06 pm   Last year etc

Quote:
However, Pamela, I don't think that words such as 'this, last and next' are adverbs of time but rather adjectives because "year' is a noun and not a verb. :)
I hope that helps.
Linda

Linda,when analyising a sentence according to the parts of sentence "last month", "last year" (etc.)stand for adverbial modifiers of time and according to parts of speech,they're adverbs.These adverbs are considered as a single idea while analysing.
Anyway I'd like to know Amy's opinion!
Pamela
I'm a Communicator ;-)

"in last year" vs. "last year" #5 (permalink) Sun May 07, 2006 12:22 pm   "in last year" vs. "last year"

Hi Pamela,

I'd agree with you that "time phrases" such as 'last year', 'next month', etc. would be considered adverbial.

Amy

"in last year" vs. "last year" #6 (permalink) Sun May 07, 2006 12:42 pm   "in last year" vs. "last year"

Thanks a lot,Amy !
Pamela
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Woods vs. wood (countable vs. uncountable nouns) | Meaning of "went like a lead balloon"
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
Why 'accomodating' is not correct in this sentencesMeaning of impoverishedWhy it is have?When is the proper use of in, on, at in sentences?Diffrence between main verb and present verbWhy only Those is proper here? Not 'these'?'He speaks' vs. 'He is speaking'What does "enacted" mean?Injured vs. seriousPrepositions of timeMeaning of phrasal verb 'carry off'Anywhere vs. somewhereCan't we use 'in' instead of 'at', if so what is the reason?