Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

inability to succeed; lack of success; lack; bankruptcy; downfall
replacement
failure
line
tailor
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Difference between there / in there

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Why does Alice (in Wonderland) say so? | A slang word for face
listening exercises
Difference between there / in there #1 (permalink) Sun Nov 06, 2011 13:00 pm   Difference between there / in there

Hello,

could someone explain it to me, what is the difference between there and in there?

For example:

- I don't want to go there.
- I don't want to go in there.

thank you in advance
Nicky_k
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

Difference between there / in there #2 (permalink) Sun Nov 06, 2011 13:28 pm   Difference between there / in there

Hi,

'In there' is more precise. Imagine that there is something strange about a house and no one wants to visit it, you could say; I don't want to go there (the house). You could also say: 'In there' and that would mean opening the door and going inside.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
Difference between there / in there #3 (permalink) Sun Nov 06, 2011 13:30 pm   Difference between there / in there

there - a specific area/place/location.
They are going to the park but I don't want to go there.

in there - a specific enclosed area (akin to 'inside there').
When they visit the zoo they are going to the reptile house, but I don't want to go in there.
Language Coach

Why does Alice (in Wonderland) say so? | A slang word for face
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
In fact, a child...unsteady and giddy.with their features in the wrong placesWhat is an entablature?Change, fly, jog, eatsuccess will largely depend onwhat is "i'd"why" what" not "thatPhrase: Just a minute, you have just broken my case.Meaning of "gathered a bundle of"Phrasal verb: turn downStatue instead of statusTime to spare