voyage; sightseeing excursion; trip; route
tour
understatement
picture
season

Meaning of phrasal verb 'carry off'

Can't we use 'in' instead of 'at', if so what is the reason? | Prepositions of time
Meaning of phrasal verb 'carry off' #1 (permalink) Sun May 07, 2006 2:49 am   Meaning of phrasal verb 'carry off'

ESL/EFL Test #127 "Idioms with the phrasal verb carry", question 8

When irrigation has no ......... system, the evaporating water deposits a gradual build-up of salinization, which is eventually damaging to plant life.

(a) carry over
(b) carry on
(c) carry off
(d) carry out

ESL/EFL Test #127 "Idioms with the phrasal verb carry", answer 8

When irrigation has no carry off system, the evaporating water deposits a gradual build-up of salinization, which is eventually damaging to plant life.

Correct answer: (c) carry off
_________________________

What does carry off mean?
micha

Meaning of phrasal verb 'carry off' #2 (permalink) Sun May 07, 2006 7:56 am   Meaning of phrasal verb 'carry off'

.
Here, a carry off system is a way of draining away the unused water; the water is carried off the field into a catch basin of some kind, or is recycled. (The carrying is usually done by gravity.)
.
_________________

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
Meaning of phrasal verb 'carry off' #3 (permalink) Sun May 07, 2006 8:24 am   Meaning of phrasal verb 'carry off'

carry off has many meanings:
1) to lift and take (someone or something) away
2) to win
3) to handle (a situation) successfully
4)to cause to die
"the circulatory disorder which carried off other members of his family"

by courtesy of Collins Family Dictionary.

Jan
Jan

Location: At sea

When is the proper use of in, on, at in sentences?Diffrence between main verb and present verbWhy only Those is proper here? Not 'these'?'He speaks' vs. 'He is speaking'What does "enacted" mean?Meaning of "went like a lead balloon"Injured vs. seriousWoods vs. wood (countable vs. uncountable nouns)"in last year" vs. "last year"Anywhere vs. somewhereThis doesn't make any sense: After six more phone calls I...Meaning of poverty'Which of the cars' vs. 'Whom of the cars'