enlargement; increase; spread; development
expansion
completion
base
prejudice

Meaning of arrogant

fair judgement vs. fair trial | skip it-omit it?
Meaning of arrogant #1 (permalink) Mon May 08, 2006 8:07 am   Meaning of arrogant

ESL/EFL Test #202 "Idioms about Food", question 9

The king was so rich, arrogant and mean that when he was overthrown by his people, most of his subjects thought it was about time he 'ate some humble pie.' What does to 'eat humble pie' mean? .........

(a) To get upset/angry about something
(b) To be vengeful
(c) To accept shame

ESL/EFL Test #202 "Idioms about Food", answer 9

The king was so rich, arrogant and mean that when he was overthrown by his people, most of his subjects thought it was about time he 'ate some humble pie.' What does to 'eat humble pie' mean? To accept shame

Correct answer: (c) To accept shame
_________________________

what does arrogant mean?

Kolombina
Kolombina

Meaning of arrogant #2 (permalink) Mon May 08, 2006 11:52 am   Meaning of arrogant

Hi Kolombina,

Arrogant has the sense of being both extremely proud and rude at the same time. An arrogant person always thinks of themselves first and has no feelings about what other people think

Another sense would be self important.

_________________

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Meaning of arrogant #3 (permalink) Wed Nov 30, 2011 13:19 pm   Meaning of arrogant

To accept shame- to be ashamed, to abash, to embarrass?

Many thanks!!!

Meaning of arrogant #4 (permalink) Wed Nov 30, 2011 15:24 pm   Meaning of arrogant

To accept that he was at fault and feel humiliated and apologetic.
_________________

remove desire, ill will and ignoranceWhat does 'vicious' mean?Meaning of "To make headway"How to use prepositions of time?What does "butter up" mean?What does write up mean?It is correct "... you must wear ..."?"Work out" vs "Work on"Use 'just': for exemple: Just him and me?I would like to know if we leave 'what' any longer?Meaning of phrasal verb "to wrap up"At midnight VERSUS on midnightIdiom: 'to be a such a chicken'