something of great worth
clerk
import
provision
valuable

Meaning of "went like a lead balloon"

"in last year" vs. "last year" | What does "enacted" mean?
Meaning of "went like a lead balloon" #1 (permalink) Mon May 08, 2006 19:23 pm   Meaning of "went like a lead balloon"

English Idioms and Expressions, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #24 "Idioms with phrasal verbs", question 9

That sort of joke never makes people laugh and on this occasion it went down like a lead balloon.

(a) very quickly
(b) very soundly
(c) very noisily
(d) very badly

ESL/EFL Test #24 "Idioms with phrasal verbs", answer 9

That sort of joke never makes people laugh and on this occasion it went down very badly.

Correct answer: (d) very badly

That sort of joke never makes people laugh and on this occasion it went down very quickly.
_________________________

meaning of 'went like a lead balloon'

Elga
Elga

Like a lead balloon #2 (permalink) Mon May 08, 2006 19:38 pm   Like a lead balloon

A balloon made of lead would not go up in the air and if you make a joke and nobody laughs, this means it wasn't successful and failed rather like a lead balloon dropping. Lead of course is a heavy metallic substance used in roofs.

_________________

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
Difference between 'clears' and 'explains'Why 'accomodating' is not correct in this sentencesMeaning of impoverishedWhy it is have?When is the proper use of in, on, at in sentences?Diffrence between main verb and present verbWhy only Those is proper here? Not 'these'?'He speaks' vs. 'He is speaking'Injured vs. seriousWoods vs. wood (countable vs. uncountable nouns)Prepositions of timeMeaning of phrasal verb 'carry off'Anywhere vs. somewhere