Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

person or organization that lends something; lender; loaner; moneylender
collectible
pattern
overdraft
creditor
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

'do' = 'go or travel (at a certain speed)'

ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
finance charges | What is a preposition?
listening exercises
'do' = 'go or travel (at a certain speed)' #1 (permalink) Tue May 09, 2006 7:22 am   'do' = 'go or travel (at a certain speed)'

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #92 "Using Make and Do (2)", question 3

He was so proud of his car yesterday because during the race it ......... 260 km/hr.

(a) make
(b) do
(c) made
(d) did

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #92 "Using Make and Do (2)", answer 3

He was so proud of his car yesterday because during the race it did 260 km/hr.

Correct answer: (d) did

Your answer was: incorrect
He was so proud of his car yesterday because during the race it made 260 km/hr.

y cant it be made
y only did
please answer
Hari
Hari

'do' = 'go or travel (at a certain speed)' #2 (permalink) Tue May 09, 2006 7:49 am   'do' = 'go or travel (at a certain speed)'

Hi Hari

You can use "do" to mean "go or travel (at a certain speed)".

Amy

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
'do' = 'go or travel (at a certain speed)' #3 (permalink) Fri Mar 04, 2011 22:56 pm   'do' = 'go or travel (at a certain speed)'

hi
There is an expression: i have made it this far
means i have come to a certain level
so, dose made can be used here
Linh7

'do' = 'go or travel (at a certain speed)' #4 (permalink) Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:12 am   'do' = 'go or travel (at a certain speed)'

No, Linh that is a different expression. 'I made it this far' has to do with distance. 'My car did 260 km/hr' has to do with speed.

'do' = 'go or travel (at a certain speed)' #5 (permalink) Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:41 am   'do' = 'go or travel (at a certain speed)'

"Make" shows sense of achievement, doesn't it?
Gsheasha
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

'do' = 'go or travel (at a certain speed)' #6 (permalink) Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:35 am   'do' = 'go or travel (at a certain speed)'

Not every time, but it does in the expression, "I made it this far".
Language Coach

'do' = 'go or travel (at a certain speed)' #7 (permalink) Tue Jun 05, 2012 15:27 pm   'do' = 'go or travel (at a certain speed)'

I didn`t understand very well the Iankee explanation about "MAKE" in this question. Could someone help me?
Cristovam
I'm here quite often ;-)

'do' = 'go or travel (at a certain speed)' #8 (permalink) Tue Jun 05, 2012 15:27 pm   'do' = 'go or travel (at a certain speed)'

I didn`t understand very well the Iankee explanation about "MAKE" in this question. Could someone help me?
Cristovam
I'm here quite often ;-)

'do' = 'go or travel (at a certain speed)' #9 (permalink) Tue Jun 05, 2012 16:34 pm   'do' = 'go or travel (at a certain speed)'

Hi,

If you say that the car did 40 miles an hour, it means that the car reached the speed of 40 miles an hour. If you say that the car did 35 miles to the gallon, that means that it used a gallon after 35 miles. One of the meanings of 'do' is 'achieve' or 'succeed in doing'.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

finance charges | What is a preposition?
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
The meaning of "for"???look forward to sleeping ineveryday vs every dayIt should be "What are you doing here?"What is ice hockey?What is a bat?What is the meaning of hikes?meaning of spring'What does NATO stand for' vs 'Where does NATO stand for?'Difference between why and what?What does "up to his ears in" mean?'mail for one thousand dollars' vs. 'mail with...'Meaning of "make a go of things"