Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to further; to encourage sales; to aid; to help; to assist
promote
lack
supplement
conceptualize
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

What does "carry off" mean?

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
What does 'put off' mean? | Would it be wrong to say consume?
listening exercises
What does "carry off" mean? #1 (permalink) Wed May 10, 2006 18:55 pm   What does "carry off" mean?

English Language Proficiency Tests, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #127 "Idioms with the phrasal verb carry", question 1

An eagle, if pressed for food, might ......... a small baby that had been left in the open unprotected, but such an opportunity must occur very rarely.

(a) carry off
(b) carry through
(c) carry on with
(d) carry out

English Language Proficiency Tests, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #127 "Idioms with the phrasal verb carry", answer 1

An eagle, if pressed for food, might carry off a small baby that had been left in the open unprotected, but such an opportunity must occur very rarely.

Correct answer: (a) carry off

Your answer was: incorrect
An eagle, if pressed for food, might carry on with a small baby that had been left in the open unprotected, but such an opportunity must occur very rarely.

what does carry off mean?

micha
micha

What does "carry off" mean? #2 (permalink) Thu May 11, 2006 7:34 am   What does "carry off" mean?

Carry off = carry away. Here, the eagle might carry a baby off the ground and away to its feeding perch.

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
What does "carry off" mean? #3 (permalink) Fri Mar 12, 2010 18:28 pm   What does "carry off" mean?

Hello,
Could someone please explain why is "had been left" used here (and not "has been left")?
Thanks in advance.
Baubau
You can meet me at english-test.net

What does 'put off' mean? | Would it be wrong to say consume?
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
What does "entails of the details" mean?Meaning of "Time consuming"What does the "staffing efforts" mean?Why is it called as cellular telephone?Difference between 'I'll see if I can help' and 'I'll look if I can help'"Me either" usagenatural rights, moral rightsThe sorts of support which the firm could giveOverhead levelled off?Why said insted of told?What is 'clear title'?What does read him like a book mean?What does hooked up mean?