Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to reduce the size of; to make smaller; to cut the number of employees
ferry
impress
downsize
destroy
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

to see how can we stem this tide of export...

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Why we can't use "thankfulness" or "gratefulness" here? | 'In which way' instead of in 'what way'
listening exercises
to see how can we stem this tide of export... #1 (permalink) Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:35 am   to see how can we stem this tide of export...

Business English Lesson, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #204 "Tobacco Marketing", question 2

"We're bringing the world's tobacco-control community together in one place to see how can we ......... this tide of export, promotion and production by the tobacco industry," said Dr. Thomas Houston of the American Medical Association.

(a) dam
(b) plug
(c) span
(d) stem

Business English Lesson, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #204 "Tobacco Marketing", answer 2

"We're bringing the world's tobacco-control community together in one place to see how can we stem this tide of export, promotion and production by the tobacco industry," said Dr. Thomas Houston of the American Medical Association.

Correct answer: (d) stem

Hello,

Two words have been inverted inappropriately for this test Question 2 of Tobacco Marketing. As far as I know, the correct word order is We're bringing the world's tobacco-control community together in one place to see how we can......... this tide of rather than We're bringing the world's tobacco-control community together in one place to see how can we ......... this tide of. Could you please verify this matter?

Thank you.

Best wishes,
Bhikkhu1991a.
Bhikkhu1991a
I'm here quite often ;-)

to see how can we stem this tide of export... #2 (permalink) Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:39 am   to see how can we stem this tide of export...

You are correct in your grammar, but these test materials are derived from authentic sources. Medical doctors are seldom the best grammarians.

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Why we can't use "thankfulness" or "gratefulness" here? | 'In which way' instead of in 'what way'
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
some major and minor wars as wellif a sentence isThe meaning of a sentences?What is a plumbing leak?allusion vs. illusionHow can I communicate in English?suffer through vs. suffer fromrealised vs. believedMeaning of exudeMeaning of "furnished"Meaning of ParticularlyMeaning of smokescreanExpression: Stop me if I've told you this before