attack; act of aggression; position of pursuit or aggression
amount
copy
offensive
default

Meaning of "very first everning"

Difference between 'work out' and 'work over' | Meaning of elope
Meaning of "very first everning" #1 (permalink) Tue May 16, 2006 17:22 pm   Meaning of "very first everning"

Common Errors in English, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #9 "This way and that", question 7

On their very first evening he told his wife he was just going out for a short walking but it was really to buy her some flowers.

(a) very first
(b) just
(c) walking
(d) really

ESL/EFL Test #9 "This way and that", answer 7

On their very first evening he told his wife he was just going out for a short walk but it was really to buy her some flowers.

Correct entry: walk
The error was: (c) walking

You have not found the error.
On their first evening he told his wife he was just going out for a short walking but it was really to buy her some flowers.
_________________________

Why do you use "very first everning"?
What does it mean?
Can I use it in the real life?

Thank you very much.

Ann
Ann

Meaning of "very first everning" #2 (permalink) Tue May 16, 2006 18:22 pm   Meaning of "very first everning"

Hi Ann

"The first evening" and "the very first evening" basically mean the same thing. The word "very" simply emphasizes the idea of first. Use "very first" if you want to stress that it wasn't just one of the first evenings, but definitely the first of all.

And yes, it's quite normal to use "very first" that way in real life. :lol:

_________________

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Idiom: "swimming with sharks"Meaning of 'a sewage pipe burst at Nassau Coliseum'Meaning of "carry out"Meaning of "carry over"Why is 'taken' used with 'are' instead of 'have'?Oversee vs. overlookTrust vs. "rely on"What does "know one's stuff" mean?"switch off" vs. "turn off "Past tense of complainPrepositions with time: The preposition ONWhat is different between IN and ONMeaning of "watch out for"