way; route; course; section; piece
pair
standpoint
capex
passage

Meaning of "carry on"

'by the shoulder' vs 'with/on the shoulder' | Why not 'bear', 'stand' or 'bear'
Meaning of "carry on" #1 (permalink) Thu May 18, 2006 11:38 am   Meaning of "carry on"

ESL/EFL Test #127 "Idioms with the phrasal verb carry", question 6

Items such as pointed scissors and ice skates are examples of articles that are not permitted in your ......... baggage when boarding an aircraft.

(a) carry off
(b) carry on
(c) carry on with
(d) carry away

ESL/EFL Test #127 "Idioms with the phrasal verb carry", answer 6

Items such as pointed scissors and ice skates are examples of articles that are not permitted in your carry on baggage when boarding an aircraft.

Correct answer: (b) carry on
_________________________

what does carry on mean?

Lola
Lola

To carry on #2 (permalink) Thu May 18, 2006 12:11 pm   To carry on

To carry on means to continue/to go on: they carried on a correspondence for thirty years. He carried on talking even though everyone had told him to keep quiet.

You can also say Carry on! meaning don't stop!

In informal English, it has the sense of being very angry: when she discovered he was already married she started to carry on dreadfully.

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
Carry on #3 (permalink) Mon May 22, 2006 17:46 pm   Carry on

Just to add to Conchita's comments, when it comes to the test, "carry on baggage" is very literal here and it means anything that you can 'carry on' to the aircraft with you - unchecked baggage.
In most cases, airlines and buses (for example) will let a person 'carry on' one piece of small baggage. With women it could be a large purse - in other cases, it might be a small bag or knapsack.
I hope that helps.
_________________

Meaning of "carry on" #4 (permalink) Mon May 22, 2006 20:14 pm   Meaning of "carry on"

Linda, its fortunate that you sent your explanation, which was absolutely necessary.

The strangest thing is that Im reading the test sentence now for the first time :shock: ! Whatever happened, I wonder? My answer was to the question: What does carry on mean?, without any context!!

Preposition "IN": In the seventeenth century...Why assasinated and not murdered?Meaning of shopliftersMeaning of "sob story"Meaning of 'he was a doormat'Why is "do it all" here?Meaning of 'freaky'Sentence: ... for having us you must come to us next timeWhy strode and not strayed?'Tomorrow evening' vs 'In tomorrow evening'James isn't in at the moment vs James isn't up at the momentIs it only past simple or posibly past perfect?Meaning of "turn the volume up"