Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to vouch for; to give a warranty; to assure; to promise
guarantee
profit
foresee
exclude
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Idiom: "swimming with sharks"

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Meaning of 'a sewage pipe burst at Nassau Coliseum' | Meaning of begged
listening exercises
Idiom: "swimming with sharks" #1 (permalink) Fri May 19, 2006 8:34 am   Idiom: "swimming with sharks"

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #201 "Idioms about Animals", question 3

Everyone told me I'd be ......... if I took that job on Wall Street.

(a) swimming like a jellyfish
(b) swimming with sharks
(c) swimming with fish

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #201 "Idioms about Animals", answer 3

Everyone told me I'd be swimming with sharks if I took that job on Wall Street.

Correct answer: (b) swimming with sharks

Hi,
I think that i am correct, but i want to know the explanation

Matvej
Matvej

To swim with sharks #2 (permalink) Fri May 19, 2006 9:22 am   To swim with sharks

The idiom to swim with sharks means to take a huge risk.

In stock exchange* jargon, a shark is a crook or a swindler.

* The New York Stock Exchange is in Wall Street, Manhattan.
Conchita
Language Coach

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
Idiom: "swimming with sharks" #3 (permalink) Fri May 19, 2006 10:47 am   Idiom: "swimming with sharks"

Hi Matvej

In addition to what Conchita has said, a "shark" can also be a greedy or ruthless or treacherous person.

In the context of the sentence, I would tend to understand that "swimming with sharks" means "working with ruthless, back-stabbing people who will stop at nothing to achieve their own goals (profit)." In this sense, a shark doesn't care what he does to you or a company. He "attacks fiercely" in order to achieve his own goals. The "attack" could be perfectly legal, even though it might hurt a lot of other people.

So, I wouldn't automatically understand "swindler" here, although I'm sure there are plenty of swindlers on Wall Street, too. :lol:

Amy

Shark #4 (permalink) Fri May 19, 2006 12:04 pm   Shark

Hi,

A common use of the word is a loan shark - someone who charges an enormous interest rate on money that is being loaned or lent.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Meaning of 'a sewage pipe burst at Nassau Coliseum' | Meaning of begged
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
'by the shoulder' vs 'with/on the shoulder''Tomorrow evening' vs 'In tomorrow evening'James isn't in at the moment vs James isn't up at the momentIs it only past simple or posibly past perfect?Meaning of "turn the volume up"Preposition at the endMeaning of 'fetch'Meaning of "carry on"Meaning of "carry out"Meaning of "carry over"Why is 'taken' used with 'are' instead of 'have'?Oversee vs. overlookTrust vs. "rely on"